VMware Cloud Community
markus_herbert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Problem after U3 with Update Manager

After updating my Virtual Center Server 2.5 from U2 to U3 (now Build 119598) my Update Manager had a problem to scan my esx 3.5 U2 host.

With U2 everything works ok. During the update there where not problems.

I also have removed the Update Manager from my server and also deleted the VIM_UMDB.* files and installed the update manager new.

But the problem still exists. Anyone seen this behaviour?

Here is the error message from Update Manager:

SQL execution failed: INSERT INTO VCI_SCANHISTORY_TARGETS (scanh_id, update_id, target_uid, target_status, failurereason) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?)

Bind parameters:

datatype: 1 size: 4datatype: INT32 size: 4Value: 1

datatype: 1 size: 4datatype: INT32 size: 4Value: 33878292

datatype: 11 size: 12

datatype: 1 size: 4datatype: INT32 size: 4Value: 1

datatype: 11 size: 0

Database error (vdb) "ODBC error: (23000) - [SQL Native Client][SQL Server]The INSERT statement conflicted with the FOREIGN KEY constraint "FK_VCI_SHISTVMS_REF_SIG". The conflict occurred in database "VIM_UMDB", table "dbo.VCI_UPDATES", column 'ID'." is returned when executing SQL statement "INSERT INTO VCI_SCANHISTORY_TARGETS (scanh_id, update_id, target_uid, target_status, failurereason) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?)"

Task execution has failed: SingleHostScan : Database error (vdb) "ODBC error: (23000) - [SQL Native Client][SQL Server]The INSERT statement conflicted with the FOREIGN KEY constraint "FK_VCI_SHISTVMS_REF_SIG". The conflict occurred in database "VIM_UMDB", table "dbo.VCI_UPDATES", column 'ID'." is returned when executing SQL statement "INSERT INTO VCI_SCANHISTORY_TARGETS (scanh_id, update_id, target_uid, target_status, failurereason) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?)"

A subTask finished: VciHostScanTask SerializeToVimFault fault: (integrity.fault.VcIntegrityFault) { dynamicType = <unset>, msg = "" } Converted fault: (vim.fault.ExtendedFault) { dynamicType = <unset>, faultTypeId = "com.vmware.vcIntegrity.VcIntegrityFault", data = (vim.KeyValue) [ (vim.KeyValue) { dynamicType = <unset>, key = "dynamicType", value = "", }, (vim.KeyValue) { dynamicType = <unset>, key = "dynamicProperty", value = "", } ], msg = "" } VciTask , type: com.vmware.vcIntegrity.ScanTask }: Setting VC task state to: error Task finished... Task finished... Removing task ScanTask that imposed Alpine load:2, new load: 3 Removing task VciHostScanTask that imposed Alpine load:1, new load: 2

Removing task ChainedTaskContainer that imposed Alpine load:0, new load: 2

Removing task SingleHostScanTask that imposed ESX load:3 for esx host-8, new load: 0 that imposed Alpine load:2, new load: 0

The number of tasks: 0

Filter removed for : session[B6BDD407-2D70-40E7-9FB6-A5FCA9AC7362]053D284A-35DE-4838-A62E-EB8AB596F450

Delete VC task from database: task-212

No changes to firewall configuration for: updateManager

Internal Scheduled Tasks Manager Timer callback...

InvokeCallbacks. Total number of callbacks: 4

Internal Scheduled Tasks Manager Timer callback end of this timer slice.....Rescheduling after 300000000 microseconds

Patch store disk free space is: 15263113216

Temp directory disk free space is: 15263113216

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Andreas_Besser
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, we have exact the same problem.

Environment is an completely new installed VC 2.5 U3 with 2 ESX 3.5 Servers Built 110268.

Any Solutions for this problem known?

Rgeards Andreas

0 Kudos
markus_herbert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So I removed everything called VMware from my Virtual Center Server including SQLexpress.

Installed VCenter U3 again including new database - then I can scan my esx 3.5 host and install the patches again.

But I loose all my performance data.

Strange !!!

0 Kudos
mcwill
Expert
Expert

It does appear to be a new fault introduced with VC2.5U3.

We've had an SR open on the same problem since Friday.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Are you using the same Dbase for VC & UM?

0 Kudos
mcwill
Expert
Expert

Are you using the same Dbase for VC & UM?

Yes we are but I don't think it is related, we have the same database insert problem and it appears the cause of error is UM has forgotten that a previous VM scan was stored under the Id it is attempting to store the host scan with.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Oh OK, as this has been an area of debate for me lately (UM & VC Dbase the SAME Dbase) - I have done circa 30 VC Updates for various clients and have not experienced this and would be interested to know, sorry I can not help.

Good luck

0 Kudos
mcwill
Expert
Expert

We have now solved the problem by uninstalling Update Manager, deleting the UM database, and then re-installing UM.

Not an ideal solution but it has worked for us.

0 Kudos
Wittbert
Contributor
Contributor

Hmmm it seems that many people have problems with U3 and Update Manager.

In my case I did 3 Update-Installations from VC2.5U2 to VC2.5u3 and one fresh install of VC2.5u3.

In all cases the UM doesn't work. With VC2.5u2 everything works fine, after editing the vciintegrity.xml with the "patchdepoturl" entry.

In U3 unter "Baselines" in my UM-Menu, no patches for ESX are listet. When I schedule a download an run the task it is finished within 10sec. VC says "Taks completed". But no updates were downloaded. ( attached screen )

I don't have a clue what's the problem...My UM-Server is temporary allowed to access the internet without any restrictions...

Any Ideas??

Kind regards

Benjamin

0 Kudos
cflath
Contributor
Contributor

Has there been any resolution to this issue? I am experiencing the same problem, and have re-installed VUM fresh 2 times, and it did not solve the issue.

0 Kudos
Andreas_Besser
Contributor
Contributor

In my case uninstallation and new setup of the updatemanager was the resolution. Do not copy the existing patches back in the repository, VUM must download them again.

Andreas

0 Kudos
cflath
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm hadn't tried clearing the Data folder.. gave that a shot, at first it still did not work - same error.. then I started and stopped the service a few times and it starting working. Wish I had more useful information in a technical sense, but that's what happened.

0 Kudos
Wittbert
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Guys,

thanks for this information. I tried your proposals but it didn't work for me. Strangely a fresh installation of VC2.5u3 worked at another customer.... I didn't really know that the problem....In my case I patched the ESX-Servers manually with the downloaden zip-files and the contents.xml file....

Maybe it works for me with the next release...

Thanks!

Kind regards

Benjamin

0 Kudos
slebbon
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same error. I'll open a Support ticket on it tomorrow, unless anyone else has a solution, besides reinstalling everything and starting the UM db from scratch?

0 Kudos
bedee
Contributor
Contributor

Are there any new technical expertise of this problem?

i have exactly same problem with only one virtual server. all other running/scanning/remediate well

thanks

0 Kudos
slebbon
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, it seems I didn't update this thread after I resolved my problem by calling Tech Support.

For us, all I had to do was to follow these instructions:

delete the data folder (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application

Data\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Data\hostupdate) by default.

2. Restart VUM

server

3. Go to Configuration tab-&gt;Edit Update Downloads and run download

ESX updates (schedule: select once to be run now) from the wizard.

4. Make

sure the updates are downloaded (See C:\Documents and Settings\All

Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Data\hostupdate)

5. Run

scan on host

I didn't lose any data or settings, alhtough it did take a little bit of time to re-download all the updates.

0 Kudos
markus_herbert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

With VCenter 2.5 U4 the problem is still not seen anymore.

0 Kudos