VMware Cloud Community
vm_newbie_2017
Contributor
Contributor

Problem Upgrading from 7.0.3 to 8.0

I am running into some issues which cause me to always fail to upgrade my current vCenter install.

I went ahead and removed the cluster and made it a stand alone install so it will be easier to upgrade. I installed 
the new vCenter 8.0 from my download and step 1 completes fine except i have to go in and make sure when it
boots i change the network config to the correct switch as i can select when install. 
After Step 1 completes and i can choose the upgrade, after providing all the credentials it starts to export the data 
and goes fine till i hit 39% where it gets stuck at Exporting VMware Analytics Service data..

vm_newbie_2017_0-1666940473540.png

Any idea how to get past that ? I went and rebooted the source vcenter before i tried again but that did not make a difference.

Also i have this message in my VCenter Appliance which i have no idea if this is related or how to resolve since when i google 
i can find any solutions. All systems otherwise are fine

vm_newbie_2017_0-1666944327153.png

Alos this is the message i get after the upgrade fails / Times out after 60 min

Upgrade phase timed out. The time planned for the upgrade phase was 60 minutes. The upgrade phase has already been running for 60 minutes.
Resolution
To extend the default timeout, set environment variable UPGRADE_EXPORT_TIMEOUT for export upgrade phase, UPGRADE_IMPORT_TIMEOUT for import upgrade phase, and UPGRADE_POST_IMPORT_TIMEOUT for import historical data phase. The timeout is in minutes.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
vm_newbie_2017
Contributor
Contributor

Jus as an update, i updated my vcenter to latest version and the stats error is now gone. I tried another fresh install but it still gets hung at the magic 39 % and then times out. There is not much info since when i go to logs i get this

vm_newbie_2017_0-1666981051587.png

I think this upgrade has lots of flaws since you cant also import a 7.x backup in the new 8.x vcenter which is quite bad. There should be another way to do an offline upgrade

0 Kudos
guillermoitbs
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I just got this info on the web. 

I did't tested it

https://www.ubackup.com/enterprise-backup/upgrade-to-esxi-8.html

I hope works for you

regards,

Guillermo

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
vm_newbie_2017
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks that article only addresses the esxi upgrade which you cant do until vCenter is at level 8.x as that's required to manage
and esxi >= ver 8. My issue is that I have distributed switches and a vSan so i cant start from scratch 

0 Kudos
DeevieBE
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same error. Did you find a solution yet?

0 Kudos
vm_newbie_2017
Contributor
Contributor

No luck and i tried everything i could find. So, i will just wait till VMWare people actually provide a way to upgrade
without being stuck with no answers, I really don't have the need for 8.0 as it will break more for me then it fixes like
3 Party integration etc.

If you don't need to migrate it installs just fine

0 Kudos
jorgedlcruz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Having the very same problem on my end. And as you said, VSAN and DVS enabled, so I can not start from scratch. You can not import a previous VCSA backup into 8.

I have tried to far everything, I've checked that my PTR/DNS are all fine, including the temporary VCSA.

I am debugging as many files as I can see, nothing clear where is the problem. Please update us if VMware troubleshoot anything.

0 Kudos
jorgedlcruz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I managed to progress further, and it worked!

jorgedlcruz_0-1668526954564.png

So, in essence I have followed the next KB - https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/85116

Which essentially deletes old information stored on your /var/log/vmware/analytics/prod so you need to be sure you do not need that data. I didn't, so I executed the script to delete data older than 7 days, look at the result:

Files before the clean :
===
Start cleaning VDDK files older than 7 days...
Clean successful!
===
Files after the clean: 

Now, with just 110 files to migrate, which are truly recent, the migration took a few minutes instead of an hour 🙂 As said, do a backup/snapshot before you do anything.

Hope it works for you as well.

kazzic555
Contributor
Contributor

Great find this has fixed my issue also thank you. The KB really should be more clear. It states updating to the vCenter would fix the issue but it doesn't seem to clear the files unless you run this script.
You would only know it affects upgrades if you read the Workaround.

We are running VMware VirtualCenter 7.0.3 build-20395099 which should resolve this issue.

0 Kudos