VMware Cloud Community
tavore
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Privileges need to power down a host in VC6.5?

Hi

I am experiencing a problem since updating our VC to version 6.5. I have a defined set of roles that map to IT roles at our company, each role gives more rights to match the duties each job is expected to perform.

I migrated the roles across more or less like for like when going from 5.5 to 6.5 (leaving the additional nodes for areas like certificates with just full admins).

My problem is that I have a mid level role with staff who need to be able to place a host into maintenance and shut it down. Previously, and also according to the manuals, this should be granted by the privilege Host/Config/Maintenance. The role also has most other Host area privileges including Host/Config/Power although that should not be relevant. The staff can place the hosts in and out of maintenance but can't shut them down or reboot them.

Does anyone know what privilege I am missing?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LokeshHK
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

User must have "Global.Log event" privilege  along with "Host.Configuration.Maintenance" privilege to perform host "Shut Down " or "Reboot" operations.

Note:

If you select Reboot, the ESXi host shuts down and starts.

If you select Shut Down, the ESXi host shuts down and You must manually power the system back on.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
LokeshHK
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

User must have "Global.Log event" privilege  along with "Host.Configuration.Maintenance" privilege to perform host "Shut Down " or "Reboot" operations.

Note:

If you select Reboot, the ESXi host shuts down and starts.

If you select Shut Down, the ESXi host shuts down and You must manually power the system back on.

vasan22in
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello tavore,

If you have both Host/Config/Power & Host/Config/Maintenance role. You need to check that particular role is assigned to the ESXi host you are trying to reboot or shutdown. If not you need to add permission to the host.

Thanks,

Srini

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your query have been answered correctly. Thanks, Srini
tavore
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That seems to have done the job - thanks.

0 Kudos
JohnMarcial
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This option has solved my similar query. Good job!

0 Kudos