VMware Cloud Community
euphony
Contributor
Contributor

Power on VM's on HA

I have a question on Vmware HA. When your Vmware HA cluster does not have enough resources for failover such as the current failover capacity is less than the configured capacity, how does it power on the VM's when a host goes down. I know you set priority on which VM to start but how does this work. Such as the VM's on the host that has gone down are they powered on first, are only the high priority VM's on the host down powered on first. And how does this affect other VM's on the hosts that are up, are the VM's with medium priority powered down to keep the powered on high VM's and to power on the high VM's.

Is there an in depth step guide on what VM's are powered on Clusters with not enough resources when hosts go down.

Also on a separate question. I have another separate cluster which I think has more than enough resources. The settings for HA are current failover capacity is 2 hosts and the configured capacity is 1 host. Should I change the configured capacity to 2 hosts then as the current is 2, or is it best practice to leave the configured as 1 host.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ber001
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

The HA priority define which VM is started. First -> High, second -> Medium and last -> Low.

All the VM's will be restarted on the available server.

You can tune the ressource priority in your vm's or ressource pools !

For your second question. There is no best practice in this case. If your cluster can support 2 hosts down, you can select a failover capacity of 2 hosts... Later if your cluster can't support it, you'll recieve a message when you'll power on a VM (except if you're selected "Allow vm to be powered on even if they violate availability constraints")

Bertrand

BeR

BeR
0 Kudos