VMware Cloud Community
hristo1977
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Possibly to lock a VM to one host in a cluster?

Hi!

We have a VM that will require a special hardware (need to test this). We will only plug in the HW in one ESX host in our cluster. Is it possible to lock only one VM to this specific host?

Regards

H

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

With vSphere 4.1 DRS Host-Affinity was added (see http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/VMW-Whats-New-vSphere41-HA.pdf) You may define a "must" rule to make sure the VM only runs on a specific host.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

With vSphere 4.1 DRS Host-Affinity was added (see http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/VMW-Whats-New-vSphere41-HA.pdf) You may define a "must" rule to make sure the VM only runs on a specific host.

André

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hi Hristo - this is usually set by setting up host Affinity Rules.

these prevent VMs migrating using DRS etc and should also cover you in the instance of HA being invoked. Of course, you need to be aware that in the instance of ESX host loss, your VM will not restart elsewhere (but I guess if you have a hardware dependency, that is not a problem?)

How are you adding this hardware to your VM (if it is virtual hardware, the virtual hardware could be available across all hosts in a cluster - if it is USB, you could consider one of the 3rd party USB network style replicators which should allow access to it from anywhere)

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
hristo1977
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The VM will communicate with the hardware using a serial port. We will test this using a

DIGI ONE SP TERMINALSERVER. Not sure if its possible to do this, but I will come back after I have tested it.

Regads

H

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Please do feed back - thanks - this is useful for future community users.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
hristo1977
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi all,

it worked like a charm to use Digi One SP to communicate with our handscanner (and to scan of course). I didnt really have to do anything out of the ordinary.

Install HW to our LAN.

Install SW on the VM.

Log in using the browser and see that the VM can communicate with the Digi adapter. Under connections...

Test your device.

Regards

H

0 Kudos