VMware Cloud Community
fartman
Contributor
Contributor

Possible to have 2 vcentre in the same ipsegment

Hi would it be possible to have 2 vcentre in the same ipsegments for vmotion but each manage it own group of esx servers?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I don't see a reason why this shouldn't work, if each host and vCenter Server is configured properly.

André

0 Kudos
fartman
Contributor
Contributor

thks for the info but both vcentre are not in linked mode not sure if there will be any issues such as vmotion

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Linked mode doesn't make a difference in this case. As long as the vMotion ports have their dedicated IP addresses, you can use vMotion to move VM's within each cluster.

André

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I agree.. No reason why this shouldn't work...

Depending on the setup, you might wanna make sure that the vCenters run with different vCenter Server Unique IDs...(Runtime Settings set in the vCenter Server settings)
/Rubeck 
0 Kudos
cyclooctane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We ran almost this exact setup at work due to political reasons.

2 Vcenters (4.1 running on win2k3 x64)  each managing a different cluster of hosts.

Both were totally independent but were on the same /24 subnet, and were even connected to the same domain.

They were both built independently.

I do not know if building one and cloning it would have worked.

We had no problems other then it was a management nightmare (that is thankfully now behind us)

Regards

Cyclooctane

0 Kudos
Gomjaba2012
Contributor
Contributor

If two vCenter are in the same subnet make sure that both vCenter have a different ID otherwise you will end up with MAC address conflict

ScreenHunter_05 Oct. 09 12.57.jpg

0 Kudos