VMware Cloud Community
fartman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Possible to create HA on cluster

Hi any idea if it is possible to create a cluster where one ESX is using FC while the other is running ISCSI can the vm residing on this cluster perform vmotion?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
keiooz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I really don't quite understand. What is the difference between common storage and same storage? I got confused back there. Sorry about that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi

For HA to work the servers need access to common storage so if they can both see the saem storage it wont work

Regards

Gregg

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
0 Kudos
fartman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

if both esx can access the sam LUN but one of them uses ISCSI while the other uses FC will HA still work as both ESX still can access the same datastore

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The LUN would appear as two datastores in your vCenter inventory (one via iSCSI, the other via FC), with unique GUIDs and would not pass vMotion validation.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
keiooz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I really don't quite understand. What is the difference between common storage and same storage? I got confused back there. Sorry about that.

0 Kudos