VMware Cloud Community
TAGJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Possibility of two vCenter at the same time

I'm currently using a VCSA 6.7. For some reason, this server has a problem that fail to run configuration backup. Because of this, I'm not dare enough to upgrade it to 7.

I want to give up the plan of upgrade and set up a new VCSA 7 instead. While installing, the old VCSA 6.7 must be keep functioning. What I'm not sure is, can both VCSA bound to same set of ESXis and SAN storages? And also can manage the same set of Client VMs?

The reason that why I want both of them exist simultaneously is let them to have a transition period. After I confirm the VCSA 7 is good to go, I'll shut down the VCSA 6.7.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can only do one at a time, but what you can do is remove one host a time and move them over with the vms still running, this is easier if you have standard switches.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can only do one at a time, but what you can do is remove one host a time and move them over with the vms still running, this is easier if you have standard switches.

0 Kudos
TAGJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello sjesse. My environment has a standard virtual switch and all the ESXis are connected to it. Although ESXi can be relocated one by one, what left is the SAN storage (Datastore in vCenter) as I've one only.

All SAN storage disk space are allocated to the same RAID volume and connected to the current VCSA as Datastore.

If SAN storage can only be connected to one VCSA, then after the first ESXi is migrated to VCSA7, there'll be no storage for it.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Storage is connecting to the esxi hosts, not the vcsa, so it doesn't matter

0 Kudos
TAGJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks sjesse. I'll soon give it a try.