VMware Cloud Community
schtech
Contributor
Contributor

Port conflict during install

While installing vCenter, I run into the message "...port in use" and come to find out that ports 8080 and 8443 are in use. Found the culprit to be 3Com's Intelligent Deploment Management Agent, and if I stop that software I can then install vCenter. Info on that 3Com software is hard to come by so changing the ports that it uses will be difficult. Other than changing the ports that vCenter will use to alternates, is it possible to find out if there are conflicts if I stop the 3Com software, install vCenter, restart the 3Com software in advance.

Thx, Tom

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
bilalhashmi
Expert
Expert

I have not encountered this issue, but I owuld think if u install with the 3com stopped, you may not be able to turn it on if vCenter takes over the port.. More over u will have a fight about it when the machine reboots, in which case whoever gets the port first will leave the other one complaining..

Follow me @ Cloud-Buddy.com

Blog: www.Cloud-Buddy.com | Follow me @hashmibilal
schtech
Contributor
Contributor

Makes sense. Is there a list somewhere of alternative ports to use in place of 8080 and 8443? A call to VMware might be in line here.

-Tom

0 Kudos
bilalhashmi
Expert
Expert

Keep in mind that port 8042-8045 are used by the hosts for HA to work, FT etc.. Not sure what changing this ports may do. I will have to do some reasearch on that. 8043 is used for webservices so I dont think that will not be a game changer.. Maybe someone else will have more insight on this.

Follow me @ Cloud-Buddy.com

Blog: www.Cloud-Buddy.com | Follow me @hashmibilal
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

check http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=482465...

and

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=1003971

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
schtech
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for all the replies. Rather than deal with potential conflicts, I decided not to use our SQL 2008 and go with the Express version that comes with the installer. We only have 2 hosts and may go to 3, way below the limit of 5 hosts. vCenter is up and running, along with VUM etc.

Thx again, Tom

0 Kudos