VMware Cloud Community
GauranG1
Contributor
Contributor

Please HELP !!! VC2.5 should be installed on Windows 2003 Standard or Windows 2003 Enterprise

Can anyone please tell me the advantages of installing VC 2.5 on Windows 2003 Enterprise. Based on my experience, I strongly recommend "Enterprise" but Our archietct thinks it should be "Standard" as he thinks VC2.5 cannot handle more then 4 Gb of RAM.

Is this correct, what is the max RAM a VC2.5 can handle.

Thanks a Million !!!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Here is a good .pdf to look at, http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35u2/vi3_35_25_u2_config_max.pdf

With that said, we run 4 VCMS instances all with W2K3 Standard and 4GB of RAM

hope this helps.

0 Kudos
GauranG1
Contributor
Contributor

tThanks but my question is CAN VC2.5 HANDLE MORE THEN 4GB OF RAM ? The configuration maxium document does not reflect this.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I do not believe it's an issue with how much RAM a VCMS instance can support, because if there was a maximum it would probably be in the .pdf I pointed out. In my opinion it is best to have a robust database instance. We run our DB on a SQL cluster on W2K Enterprise as the OS.

RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I agree with the architect assessment. You won't NEED Enterprise. Standard is fine.

I can pretty much guarantee that no one's VC server uses this much RAM, I haven't heard of anyone utilizing more than 2GB, and that's pushing it.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

> CAN VC2.5 HANDLE MORE THEN 4GB OF RAM ?

VC is a service. It's not going to USE 4Gb of RAM, period. That's all you should be concerned with. Just use Windows Standard and you will be fine. That's what we use, and everyone else uses for a VC server. I have even seen where people have a VC VM which is basically a 1 GB VM, so what does that tell you?

0 Kudos