VMware Cloud Community
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Permissions to only see VMs in 1 resource pool

Our Datacenter has about 6 clusters in it. I have been trying to see if there is anyway possible to create roles/permissions to allow a user to only provisioning/deprovision vms. I can do that,,,but I wanted them to only be able to see that resource pool and there folder in Vcenter when the login. It appears I cant do that, and they still have to see "everything".

I stopped there, but my end goal is a user would only be able to see the datastores assigned them also.

This is vsphere4.1,,,I have not tried this on vsphere5 yet.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
nava_thulasi39

Hi,

In the Resource pool, Permission add the user to whom you want to provide the access. And map with Resource pool Administrator Role.

Make sure, that user/group doesn't have Read-only access in some other Object (Vcenter, Cluster)

Hence the user has only permission to see Resource pool and VMs

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The problem I have is to create a VM it appears you need Create New under Inventory->Virtual Machine assigned to your Datacenter. This appears to give the ability for the user to view all my clusters, and vms. Even though he wont have rights. I have tried the resource Admin. And without that Datacenter permission the user cannot create a VM. Though he does only see his resource pool.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
nava_thulasi39

Hi,

Hope, I haven't get your issue.

But Resource pool Administrator has permission to create a VM ( He is the Administrator for the mentioned Resource pool)

Resource.jpg

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos