VMware Cloud Community
chauvetp
Contributor
Contributor

Permissions problem

Hello all,

I'm trying to give access to some of our users in a limited fashion within vCenter. I want them to be able to login and have full control over four or five guests, but no control over the hosts.

I thought this would be accomplished by giving the user "Read Only" permission at the top level of vCenter, and them giving them Administrator on the four or five guests they need access to. Unfortunately when I do this, the user is unable to login to vCenter. They get the following error when using the vSphere client: "You do not have permission to login to the server".

I had all this working on ESX4.0 but when upgrading to 4.1 (which entailed an OS reinstall since I was on a 32 bit OS for vCenter), all usernames, groups, and permissions were recreated.

I can manually create a permissions set, but I don't know what permission I need to give to allow the user to login to the server. Any help you can provide on this would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

why not switch your inventory view to VM's and Templates, create a folder, move the vm's in question into that folder and give permissions on that folder?

0 Kudos
chauvetp
Contributor
Contributor

Ah, I didn't know permissions could be managed like that within the "VMs & Template" area. Thanks for the helpful advice, it works fine!

0 Kudos