VMware Cloud Community
Daniel_Paul
Contributor
Contributor

Permissions on Resource Pools disappear. Why and how to prevent?

We've got one ESX Server and defined 10 Resource Pools in VC with permissions (VM Power User) for different ADS Groups. Background: Every division (respectively one ADS group) has it own Pool and they should be able to use only their own pool. At Datacenter-Level we defined read access for all employee.

Sometimes permissions on Resource Pools got lost, so nobody can work with their VMs, so we have to reassign permissions. The permissions granted at Datacenter-Level are still there, only Resource Pool-Level permissions disappear.

Does anybody can confirm this?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
bretti
Expert
Expert

I can not confirm this. We don't have this problem in our environment.

You may want to verify who has permission to change permission assignments. Maybe limit that privilege to only a few people.

0 Kudos
phyberport
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is actually a bug I found that was reproduced by VMWare Support. This occurs whenever an ESX host is rebooted or the mgmt-vmware service is restarted. They were hoping to get this fixed in 2.02, but no guarantee. May have to wait till 2.1

different-think
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

in our environment there was no reboot of ESX and no restarts of mgmt-vmware, but we've got very high CPU Utilization over a longer period (3-4 days) so I could imagine, that VC Server lost connection to ESX sometimes and with reconnecting permissions got lost also (it's quite the same as a reboot).

There are only 3 administrators for this VI3 and we're don't delete the permissions by yourself.

0 Kudos
Andulla
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

we have the same problems with the permissions on resource pools after rebooting a ESX Server.

is there a way with scripts to set the permission automatically on resource pools after a reboot? I hope VMware will publish a hotfix for this.

0 Kudos
Sindi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

It also happens when we restart VC after Microsoft updates.

I am waiting for that hotfix for months now!!!

Message was edited by:

Sindi

0 Kudos
davidjerwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does anybody still have this issue. We had the issue with ESX 3.01 and VC 2. We have upgraded to ESX 3.5 and VC 2.5 but are still experiencing the same issue.

Does anybody have any ideas?

0 Kudos