VMware Cloud Community
ducadk
Contributor
Contributor

Permission question

Hi,

We have created a group that we have granted the permissions to power on/off and reset virtual machines at vcenter level (with the "Propagate” option checked), we have then created a folder in one of our clusters and removed the propagation to that folder, we have then removed the groups permission and added them with read-only permissions. But the group has still the option to power on/off/reset the virtual machines in that folder – is this by design or what are we missing?

We are running vCenter 4.1

Kind regards

Christoffer

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
jgaddi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you clarify that you created a folder under a cluster or under a datacenter? I don't believe you can create a folder under a cluster. Click on the VM that this group should not be able to power on and click the permission tab. What user/group do you see? Does the user that is part of this readonly group part of another group that might have more privilege

0 Kudos
ducadk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jgaddi

Thanks for your reply - yes it was a typo from my side, the folders are of cause created on the datacenter level 🐵 the permissions is the same on the VMs as they are on the folder they are living in (if I compare the two permissions tabs)

Kind regards

Christoffer

0 Kudos
jgaddi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

To answer your previous question, this is not by design. The fact that you can power on VMs despite giving read only in the folder means the group/user is inheriting a role/permission with more privileges. Go to the roles section (Home---> Roles) click on the power-on role and the read only role and check. You can take a screen shot and I can have a look.

Joey

0 Kudos
ducadk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Joey,

I have created a small flash movie, to show you the issue - I can't show you what have been checked in the "Read-only" role since it is a built in role.

The client in the top is a "full blown" admin the client in the bottom is a user with the role "GRIT.U.windows-only".

Hope it makes sense.

Kind regards

Christoffer

0 Kudos
ducadk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Can I provide any other documentation to show what I'm struggling with?

/Christoffer

0 Kudos
jgaddi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

did a repro in my test lab, somehow if you put permission in the VM & Templates view, the permissions are not taken into effect. If you do it from the Host and Clusters, it works everytime. I'll be doing some research if this is a bug and will get engineering to help out. In the meantime, workaround is to do it in H&C view (you don't have the flexibility of using folders thou).