VMware Cloud Community
mclark
Expert
Expert

Performance Rollup with SQL Express

I just upgraded from VirtualCenter 2.5 (on Windows 2003) and VI 3 (ESXi 3.5) to vCenter 4.0 (on Windows 2008 64-bit) and vSphere (ESXi 4). I copied the DBs from the old 2.5 vCenter (SQL 2005 Express) to the new 4.0 vCenter (SQL 2008 Express) before doing the install. Now, when Iook at the vCenter Health section, I see the following:

vCenter Database 3 warnings

Warning Performance statistics rollup from Past Day to Past Week is not occurring in the database

Warning Performance statistics rollup from Past Week to Past Month is not occurring in the database

Warning Performance statistics rollup from Past Month to Past Year is not occurring in the database

I'm looking for assistance on resolving these issues. I've done a search but haven't found anything that seems directly relevant. I'm wondering if there's possibly a DB issue (since I copied it from the old server) that a SQL script or something like that might clear up.

Thanks!

8 Replies
jmcdonald1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It sounds like you coppied the database but not the rollup jobs when you moved the database. Take a look at the following KB:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1004382

Cheers,

/Jonathan

mclark
Expert
Expert

I found that KB before, but it does not apply to SQL Express.

0 Kudos
mclark
Expert
Expert

I just ended up re-installing vCenter on another VM from scratch, not copying the database, which "fixed" the issue.

0 Kudos
six4rm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does anyone know of a solution to this?

I did exactly the same, upgraded from VirtualCenter 2.5 to vCenter 4.0 whilst keeping the old SQL Express 2005 DB. I installed vCenter 4.0 on a 32-bit Windows Server 2008 VM and a fresh install of SQL Express 2008 R2. I imported the old DB and everything is running smoothly apart from the performance rollup jobs.

0 Kudos
MaartenK
Contributor
Contributor

I`m expierencing the exact same problem after upgrading from vcenter 2.5 to vcenter 4u1. Tried the KB articles and . The problem is that SQL Express doesn`t offer much maintenance and planning beacsue there is no SQL Agent, that's why you cannot run the tasks mentioned in the KB articles.

SQL Server Agent is not available in MSSQL 2005 Express. Historic data is managed by the VirtualCenter Server service. But how is it possible to disable this warnings?

I Also checked the new RL for Update 2 but their is nothing mentioned about this.

http://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere4/doc/vsp_vc40_u2_rel_notes.html

I think upgrading to update 2 moght solve it because everthing is reinstalled. I will goign to try this. and let you know.

0 Kudos
generaldaze
Contributor
Contributor

hey guys, newbie here

I dont understand a thing: if I have Virtual Center 4 with sql 2008 EXPRESS, should I see weekly/monthly statistics or not? What does it mean that "Historic data is managed by the VirtualCenter Server service" ? That I should see them or I can see only last day statistics and nothing else with express?

thanks

0 Kudos
CCSScot
Contributor
Contributor

Did anyone find a solution to this that does not involve wiping out the historical data?

0 Kudos
CCSBC
Contributor
Contributor

We just experienced the same issue and managed to fix it by opening MS SQL Server Management Studio Express, connecting to VIM_VCDB, browsing to Programmibility >> Stored Procedures and executing these 3 stored procedures in this exact order:

• dbo.stats_rollup1_proc
  • dbo.stats_rollup2_proc
  • dbo.stats_rollup3_proc

Then we shrinked the database (the logs would have grown a lot by then - you might want to change the max size of the log file prior to running these procedures). Finally, we restarted the vCenter service and everything went back to normal.

I hope this helps.