VMware Cloud Community
fcoa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Performance Overview Plug-In without Web Access?

It seems that the Performance Overview Plug-in install.bat (for VirtualCenter 2.5 Update 4) requires that the VMware Infrastructure Web Access service be installed.

Does this plug-in work with the VI Client? If so, is there a way to install and use the plug-in without Web Access installed?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the plugin works in the VI Client, but it functions as a vCenter plugin. So, therefore is dependent on the web access service. I don't know the insides and out of how the plugin functions, but if the web access service is not running when you try to go to the performance overview tab, it will just error out.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the performance overview plugin is for vCenter and was introduced with vCenter 2.5.0U4. You must have a vCenter instance and the VMware Infrastructure Web Access service must be running

http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/vi3_vc25u4_rel_notes.html

fcoa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. I did read the release notes prior to my upgrade, and I can see that the install batch is looking for the web access service. Are you saying that the web access service is REQUIRED FOR THE PLUG-IN TO FUNCTION IN THE VI CLIENT?

• If not, I'm wondering if I could REM out the portions of install batch that look for web access OR temporarily install web access to initiate the plug-in install, and then remove it.

• If so, any idea why and/or any word on whether VMware is looking at a version of this plug-in for the VI Client only (without the web access service)?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

in order for the performance plugin to function the Web Access Service is required. Now, if you installed the plugin while the service was running, it may not work. To fix that uninstall the web service, then go back an install the plugin and re-due the web access install.

....but, like I said the performance plugin is dependent on the web access service to be "started"

0 Kudos
fcoa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just to clarify, we have never had the web access service installed, nor are we interested in the web access service. This happens to be THE key point of this post.

Either way, it sounds like we may be out of luck. I'm still curious about why the web access service is required. From the notes, it sounds as if this plug-in works with the VI Client as well.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the plugin works in the VI Client, but it functions as a vCenter plugin. So, therefore is dependent on the web access service. I don't know the insides and out of how the plugin functions, but if the web access service is not running when you try to go to the performance overview tab, it will just error out.

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The web access service is actually where the performance stats are "grabbed" from.

If everything is installed "properly" and the web access service is running, the stats show up in the VI Client.

If everything is installed "properly" and the web access service isn't running,a "Page cannot be displayed" screen is shown when attempting o view the stats.

Jase McCarty

http://www.jasemccarty.com

Co-Author of VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center

(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach

Please consider awarding points if this post was helpful or correct

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
tWiZzLeR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Does anyone know how to uninstall and reinstall JUST web acess without uninstalling and reinstalling the entire vCenter Server?

0 Kudos
fcoa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You can do this in Add/Remove Programs (for vCenter 2.5). Just choose the change/modify option on "VMware VirtualCenter Server". Then select just the Web Access for removal.

0 Kudos