VMware Cloud Community
zepiroth
Contributor
Contributor

Performance Graph and Event Log retaining time.

Dear VMWare Experts,

I have installed :

a) 3 hosts of ESX ver 3.5 Update 2 Servers configured in DRS/HA Cluster

b) A Virtual Center 2.5 build 104215. Database for Virtual Center is using MS-SQL 2005 Standard ed, Service Pack 1. OS for Virtual Center is Windows 2003 Standard Edition 32 bit with the latest Update.

However I have several issues and questions regarding this installation :

1. Performance Graph for ESX Clusters and ESX Host is somehow cannot be displayed. For daily/real time and Yearly interval, the graph is beautiful. For Weekly/Monthly/Specified date interval, I can only have blank white screen with "Graph Cannot be displayed". ( screenshot attached ).

2. How long I can retain all of the Performance graph ? (My wild guess is VC can store up to one year).

3. How long I can retain all of the event log ( HACluster,ESX Host & Virtual Machine ) ? is there any settings to adjust the retaining interval ?

4. Is the event log data stored on the MS-SQL database or is it tied to the ESX logging system (like /var/log/*.log) ? How about the event log of the virtual Machines ? Is it also tied to the log files inside the VM Folders ? Is there any settings to adjust the retaining time ?

For question (2), (3) and (4) are needed for Data Center Security & Performance Audit. I have read this thread about the same problem : http://communities.vmware.com/message/782683#782683

However I dont know the meaning of : "either you may not have had the requisite rights on the msdb system database to create the jobs (required rights are datareader and SQLAgentUser), or the SQL agent isn't running at all. " on the postings.

Please advise and thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
0 Replies