VMware Cloud Community
romadona
Contributor
Contributor

Performance Chart on VI Client 2.0.1

Hi

i wonder confused, caused my performance chart on Vi Client 2.0.1only show 3 day past..., when i set it to pas week , past month, past year, the graph is not showing..

i've been running my vmware esx and VC for 3 year...

i'm running Vi Client ver 2.0.1 and ESX server 3.0.2

does anybody have this problem before...

Thanks

Azies

0 Kudos
18 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Are you experiencing this issue only with a particular host or you have it for all the hosts?

Did you remove the host from the inventory recently? Once you remove the host from inventory, all the historical information will be lost.

-Sandeep

0 Kudos
romadona
Contributor
Contributor

thanks sandeepka for reply me

it's happening to all host and vm, and a never remove it from my inventory..

for additional information i only restart the virtual center server. (running on windows server 2003)

please see my attachment for past week performance...

do you have any information about this

Thanks

Azies

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Which databse are you using for VC?

0 Kudos
romadona
Contributor
Contributor

i'm using SQL server 2000 SP4.

is' that any information tht you need, i'll give it to you

please help me why is that

Thanks

Azies

0 Kudos
jbogardus
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Has the database been moved to a different SQL server since it was intially installed or is this the SQL server it has always been on.

Is the SQL Agent service running?

If you look at the SQL jobs on the server are there some there for Performance Rollup tasks? If so check if they have been completing successfully?

0 Kudos
romadona
Contributor
Contributor

hi

I never moved the database, yes the sql server alwayas been on..

but yesterday i restart the server (VC)..then when i check the service Sql server agent was stopped..

is it cause the sql server agent stopped..

for sql jobs i never set job for sql server..( sorry i don't get it what you mean ) , sorry cause i'm newbie..

thanks for reply..

so what should i do to get the performance chart back...

Regards

Azies

0 Kudos
jbogardus
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

When VC is installed it sets up 3 scheduled jobs under SQL Server Agent which perform rollup of VC Performance Data. The Jobs are:

Past Day stats rollup

If the SQL Server Agent service isn't running then these jobs don't run and the Day, Week, and Month graphs don't get updated for the period the jobs aren't running.

The SQL Server Agent service should be set to automatic startup so when the server reboot you don't need to worry that it's not running. If for some reason it's not running for a period, this lost performance data is the only problem for VMware which isn't a big deal.

jbogardus
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Also when people move the database to another server they often forget that these SQL Agent Jobs need to be setup on the new server. Within the VC install directories there are SQL scripts for manually recreating these jobs is that type of scenario, but doesn't sound like that's needed for you.

romadona
Contributor
Contributor

hi

i search for the job and i didn't find it..

may be you can see my attachment...

the condition is sql server agent is running..so i cannot get the data chart on pas week right..

i agree is not a big deal if lost the chart but i use the weekly and monthly chart for report..

0 Kudos
jbogardus
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

One of these two paths on the VC server should be where VC is installed:

C:\program files\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter 2.0

C:\program files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server

Your install should be the first path since I think it was with VC 2.5 that the path changed

In that directory will be the following scripts:

job_schedule1_mssql.sql

job_schedule2_mssql.sql

job_schedule3_mssql.sql

Open up each script one at a time in the SQL query window and execute them. They will recreate each of the 3 jobs.

0 Kudos
romadona
Contributor
Contributor

hi

i'still cannot find job_schedule1_mssql.sql

i only view rollup_mssql1.sql and rollup_mssql2.sql like at attachment..

anyway..if the schedule is not there..is it my chart will always missing.?

thanks any way for reply..

thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Those jobs will not be seen for 2.0.1. Those are introduced in 2.5 I think.

-Sandeep

0 Kudos
romadona
Contributor
Contributor

hi sandeep

ok i see ..thanks for info..

may i conclude that my chart missing because my sql server agent stopped after a restart VC server.

now it should be normal again ..am i right...

thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Please check that once. But I am not sure if VC2.0.1 has any dependency with SQL agent service.

-Sandeep

0 Kudos
jbogardus
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, it's difficult to remember how things operated with 2.0.1. It does look like these performance rollups were done using different methods. SQL scripts were still used to set them up, but I can't find info to indicate what the SQL scripts set up.

I did find this link:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/96705;jsessionid=F63013623AE7B72F9B6F223398D3E0D0?tstart=30

It mentions the following as 'DB fixes' which appear to mostly be related to the Stats Rollup process.

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter 2.0\

vpxd.exe -f DropVpxStatsRollupProc.sql -m

vpxd.exe -f rollup_mssql1.sql

vpxd.exe -f rollup_mssql2.sql

vpxd.exe -f rollup_entity_mssql1.sql

vpxd.exe -f rollup_entity_mssql2.sql

vpxd.exe -f updatedb_mssql.sql -m

I don't recommend running that without more info though. Looking at the contents of the SQL scripts may give more indication of what they set up. Such as do they set up SQL Agent jobs?

I'll see if I can find anything more on these jobs by google

0 Kudos
jbogardus
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I did find this reference to problems with the rollup procedure in VC 2.0.1:

VirtualCenter Database Server Deadlock (And Other Performance Issues) Resolved with New, Improved Statistics-Aggregation (Rollup) Procedures. The database instances (Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle Database Server) supporting VirtualCenter Server have been subject to deadlocks and other performance issues due in part to VirtualCenter's statistics-aggregation (rollup) process. With this release, the statistics-data aggregation process (implemented as SQL stored procedures) has been improved: statistics data is initially collected 10 minutes after VirtualCenter startup, and then hourly after that, thus preventing deadlocks from occurring. (In previous releases, an entire week's worth of statistics data accumulated between the initial and the subsequent roll-up, which sometimes led to deadlocks.)

If you don't have this Patch 2 installed for VC 2.0.1 you may want to try installing at least that. This version is hard to continue supporting now though so you may want to think about upgrading right to VC 2.5 Update 4 or Update 5 instead. This can be done separately from needing to upgrade the ESX hosts so it's fairly safe low impact procedure.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

There's best practice doc from VMworld 2008 on how to maintain SQL DB when VC has been running since sometime:

It deals mainly with SQL 2000 and VC 2.0.x. Maybe this will be helpful.

Thanks.

*if you found this or any other answer useful, please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers*

0 Kudos
romadona
Contributor
Contributor

hi all

thanks for helping me...

let me read and discuss first ....

once again thanks for your help..

thanks

Azies

0 Kudos