VMware Cloud Community
germoles
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Perf Charts service experienced an internal error

Hi all,

we are in the process of setting up a new vSphere 4.0 Update 1 farm.

Trying to access the Performance Chart Overview page from our vCenter server all we get is the following error:

Perf Charts service experienced an internal error.

Message: Report application initialization is not completed successfully. Retry in 60 seconds.

Please note that our vCenter server connects to a local SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition RDBMS (we do not use trusted connection, here). According to our security policies, the SQL2005 instance is configured to listen to a non-standard port (i.e. different than the 1433, the default one).

I've found several posts in VMware Communities, but unfortunately none of the suggested steps have allowed us to resolve our issue.

I've also found the following document in VMware's KB:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1013877

and have tried to build up a proper Tomcat's connection string as follows (in the context.xml file under C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\tomcat\webapps\statsreport\META-INF) but again with no success:

jdbc:sqlserver://VCSRV01:3341;DbDriver=com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver;integratedSecurity=false;DbUser=vcsrv

It looks like the settings in the context.xml file are not read at all by Tomcat.

We have by the way tried to temporarely reconfigure the SQL2005 instance to listen to its default port (1433), and by doing so the Performance Chart Overview page works as expected.

Unfortunately our security policies do not allow us to maintain such a configuration, and so we can't really leave the RDBMS set up to listen to the default port.

Is there any way we can override such a constraint in order to successfully configure the Performance Chart Overview page to work as due in a non standard SQL2005 configuration?

I've read from another source that there may be a way to configure all the needed settings in vCenter server's Registry, in the following key, but I'm not sure of what and how to specify there:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI

Thanks a lot in advance for your kind help.

Best regards,

Salvatore

SKY Italia s.r.l.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
germoles
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

this is because you have an SQL Server 'named instance' (Express Edition, I guess from its name) instead of a 'default instance'.

A 'default instance' is made up of the host's server name (or the 'local' string if you are accessing it from that same host), while a 'named instance' is characterized by the host's server name (or the 'localhost' string if you are accessing it from that same host) followed by a backslash and the instance name (as in your case 'localhost\SQLEXP_VIM').

More info on SQL Server default vs. named instances can be found at:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlgetstarted/thread/2b78115e-67fa-4954-9538-5b10f8785...

Hence to include the non default port number in your 'Server' Registry entry you simply have to change the string as follows:

localhost\SQLEXP_VIM:2433

Hope this helps,

Salvatore

0 Kudos
osha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

how would the Resource tag be like in case of an oracle database?

i need a full example for the tag , i used the following but after i restarted the services i got resource not found error when i open the performance overview.

<Resource auth="Container"

name="jdbc/StatsDS"

url="jdbc:oracle:thin@virtual-center:1521:VirtualCenter"

username="vpxAdmin"

password="vpxadmin"

/>

Please advice if anything is wrong with that

i need this also for the vmware ChargeBack jdbc connection

0 Kudos