VMware Cloud Community
jaspain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Perf Charts service experienced an internal error - vCenter 4.1u1

With my original installation of vCenter Server 4.1, the Performance Tab > Overview Pane in the vSphere Client gave me the error "Perf Charts service experienced an internal error." This turned out to be due to an incompatibility between the Microsoft JDBC 1.0 driver installed with vCenter Server and the SQL 2008 R2 database I am using. I had fixed the problem using the procedure below, but it recurred with the installation of vCenter 4.1 Update 1 this evening. I'm posting here to report that the same fix still works with vCenter 4.1u1. The procedure is as follows:

1. Download the Microsoft SQL Server JDBC Driver 3.0.
  2. On the vCenter Server, stop the services VMware VirtualCenter Server and VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices.
  3. Copy the downloaded version of sqljdbc_auth.dll for x64 or x86, depending on your platform, to C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\tomcat\bin, replacing the existing copy of this file.
  4. Copy the downloaded version of sqljdbc4.jar to C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\tomcat\lib.
  5. Delete C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\tomcat\lib\sqljdbc.jar, and rename sqljdbc4.jar to sqljdbc.jar.
  6. Restart the two services.
  7. The performance overview charts should start working right away.

I hope this saves some time and effort for others with this problem. Jeff.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JLFG
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same error, but the problem in my side was the user account in the vmware service (vmware virtual center service). It was using local account, but it needs network account with administrative rights to be able to run the charts in performance view.

hope this help you!

JLFG

Pepe F. VCP
0 Kudos