VMware Cloud Community
andriven
Contributor
Contributor

Penryn = vMotion Boundary?

Does anyone know if the Intel Penryn chips due out in November will impose a vMotion boundary?

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/08/15/intel_penryn_xeon_launch/

(If so, I'll accelerate some hardware purchasing a bit.)

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mreferre
Champion
Champion

Penryn is supposedly a 45nm technology shrink of the current core architecture (Woodcrest) so my take is that it will be within the same vMotion boundaries of the latest dual and quad-core 5xxx CPU's as well as the soon to be made available quad-core 7xxx CPU's (thos for 4-socket systems and above).

Also consider that Intel and AMD are indeed working to implement technology that will be able to maintain backword (vmotion) compatibility.

I am not implying you could buy Penryn and all will be good... this is just my 2 cents.

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
andriven
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the input....I'll probably order one more 8 core IBM 3500 and wait a bit on ordering more.

0 Kudos
andriven
Contributor
Contributor

Given Xeon 5400's are shipping, I was curious if anyone had had any practical experience with this. From looking at the Dell vMotion compatibility matrix (quickest result in Google Smiley Wink ), it looks like vMotion between Xeon 53xx and 54xx chips are not supported.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
SWCS833
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vmotion is compatible across the 5000 and 7000 series of intel chips. The technology is called VT FlexMigration. It will be built into all future Intel Processors.

0 Kudos
anh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vmotion between X5300 and X5400 is only posible if you mask out the SSE 4.1 on the VM's.

Regards

Anders Hansen

Regards Anders Hansen
0 Kudos
v01d
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

5400's have VT FlexMigration (today), but ESX does not support it (yet). Also masking SSE4.1 has to be done on a per vm basis AND it is NOT supported.

0 Kudos