VMware Cloud Community
gogogo5
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Patch 2 question

I am about to embark on the Patch2 update and have seen several postings about the steps to follow.

During the update, when presented with the question to either install a new license server or use an existing one what is the best option? I have the Licensing Server installed on the same server as VC so would I just choose to use existing then?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
jparnell
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Select to install a new one - it will then upgrade your existing license server.

0 Kudos
gogogo5
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

can you tell me what version of the license server Patch2 brings it up to? if you open the VMware License Server Tools and click Help > About, what version does yours say?

0 Kudos
jparnell
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm on 10.13

0 Kudos
gogogo5
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

thats interesting, I'm running Patch1 and my version also states 10.13...hhmmm....

I'm making the assumption that you are on Patch2?

Message was edited by:

gogogo5

0 Kudos
jparnell
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

hmm. I'm sure i selected to install a new license server. Hopefully someone else can tell us what they did....

It definetly made changes though, I can now just drop license files into C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware License Server\Licenses rather than only having one license file.

murreyaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am running patch 2, and have the same version. The drop file location is especially nice.

0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

FYI - I selected "use existing" instead of install new... because like you, I wasn't sure at the time. This wasn't a problem, all worked fine. However, the NEW license server has much better handling of license files... it creates a "License" folder and any *.lic files you place in there will be read into the system. Beats having a mega-long .lic file.

Applying the License Server update post patch-2 installation works just fine if you happen to skip it during the normal VC update process.

murreyaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So how did the patch install go for you?

0 Kudos
gogogo5
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I still trying to arrange a suitable time out-of-hours. I'll let you know once done. Thanks.

0 Kudos