VMware Cloud Community
Thysdeb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

PSC appliance needs to be restared daily

Hi all,

we are running VMWare 6. on vxrail  (Dell HCI), lately, we need to restart the psc appliance to allow us log in to vcentre (login to esxi standalone hosting the PSC to restart it), worse is that this has an impact on our backup software (Dell AVAMAR) which I presume can then also not login to do the backups.

I am absolutely green and have no idea what to look for on the psc appliance that may cause this .. this happened a few months ago but stopped all of a sudden  (only for a few days we needed to restart the psc) but the issue is now back and seems not going away this time.

Any idea what and how i can look for please .....again I am completely new to this world

Kind Regards

Thys

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Okay, let me help you find the issue?

- Does the PSC VM has snapshots?
- Does the PSC VM need consolidation?
- If you check for the tasks and events of the PSC VM on vCenter do you see something weird?
- Have you checked the PSC logs?   Check if you can find something fialing here https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.5/com.vmware.psc.doc/GUID-7D574459-A9DB-45EE-A5D9-47BDC0...
- Try migrating the PSC to a different host and check if the issue persists. 
- Have you checked the performance charts? check for CPU ready and Memory Balloning? 

Please check that and let me know if you need further assistance

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Assuming that you have active SnS, I'd recommend that you open a support case with either Dell, or VMware. They should be able to identify the issue, by reviewing the logs.

André

Moderator note: Discussion moved to vCenter™ Server Discussions

0 Kudos
Thysdeb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

thanks but in that lies our problem at the moment we are out of support/maintenance we are waiting for the renewal...

THys

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Are you unable to login to the vCenter Server Management UI as well as to the VAMI on port 5480?

André

0 Kudos
Thysdeb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Andre,

What happens is we fail to log in to vCentre, i then  go the standalone esxi server that hosts the psc appliance and restart it... give it a few minutes and i can then login to vcentre again ..all is good till next day ..but now it seems this happens during the night as backups also fail, and i presume it si becuas eif this issue, not allowing the Avamar (Dell backup solution) to aso login to vcentre to kickoff the backups.

I haven't tried your the port 5480 never ogin their before oint even know credentias for that .. but its not vcentre itself it is the psc as far as i can see ...i mean when  psc is restarted it is good for a while again ...

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

PSC as well as vCenter Server have a VAMI interface to manage the appliance itself.

It can be accessed through https://<psc-or-vcenter-fqdn-or-ip>:5480/. The default user account is "root".
Please see whether you can find the appliance's root credentials, which are important for troubleshooting, updates, etc. The one who setup the VxRail should know the root password. If you can't find anything try vmware or Passw0rd!

André

0 Kudos
Thysdeb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HI Andre,

Ok i can login to port 5480... when it is in the state that i cant login with vcentre, the health status icons are just "spinning" with no information on  any of them (circled on attachment)  after the pcs appliances restarted the health status  is green and looks fine

so something happens somewhere during the next few hours everyday that it seems some services are stopped  .. because it is not that it is completely down i can still ssh to and port  5480 for instance...

Thys

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hello, hope you are doing okay.

Quick question: are you sure the PSC is not running out of space?

you can check this by opening an SSH session to the PSC appliance and running df -h 

It is possible that some of the partitions is out of space.

0 Kudos
Thysdeb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

that was my first thought as well ..but it seems good to me ...see attachment ...

I must be something that kicks off during the night and nothing with uptime for a certain amount of hours it seems...as a test i restarted the morning or afternoon or early night ..  and still the next morning i  would need to restart again ...so weird....

Regards Thys

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Okay, let me help you find the issue?

- Does the PSC VM has snapshots?
- Does the PSC VM need consolidation?
- If you check for the tasks and events of the PSC VM on vCenter do you see something weird?
- Have you checked the PSC logs?   Check if you can find something fialing here https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.5/com.vmware.psc.doc/GUID-7D574459-A9DB-45EE-A5D9-47BDC0...
- Try migrating the PSC to a different host and check if the issue persists. 
- Have you checked the performance charts? check for CPU ready and Memory Balloning? 

Please check that and let me know if you need further assistance

0 Kudos
Thysdeb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi nachogonzalez

Ok so we tried the east effort solution first (that link to doc does not work by the way) .. to migrate the psc to another host ..
Well this morning we did not need to restart for the first time in about 2 weeks ... but let me check tomorrow as well before we close this fix, please

so this is trick no 224435 of 9787744 in "the trick book" no 5 of 20 😉 

Kind Regards, Thys

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi Thys, hope you are doing fine.
If moving the PSC to another host avoided the issue, please look for resource contention (CPU, Ballooning, etc) in the previous hosts.

Also, don't worry about closing the case, this is a community forum.

Thysdeb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi nachogonzalez,

just wanted to keep it going incase it did not solve the problem peramantely .. but thank you very much  thus far..

Again thank you so much

Regards,

Thys

0 Kudos
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Before you restart the PSC. Looks at the CPU/Memory usage from VAMI or SSH (use top or vimtop) .

Check VAMI history for memory/cpu usage . If host is not under contention ; then I believe PSC cpu/memory needs to be increased. 

Ajay1988_0-1629876283488.png

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
0 Kudos
Thysdeb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi ajay,

Thanks will try that as well if it happens again ..

Regards Thys

0 Kudos