VMware Cloud Community
manconida
Contributor
Contributor

PROBLEM WITH AN EXTENTED DISK

Hello I've extended a VMware volume using the "ADD EXTENT" button but I don't see the new size. System still show me the original size.

Does enybody have the same problem?

Davide

0 Kudos
9 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

On the properties page of the vmfs datastore do your see the new extent in the list of extents? Did you receive any errors?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
manconida
Contributor
Contributor

yes, I see the two partition but non in the total size. I don't receive eny error, simply the size is incorrect. I attach the differrent size

0 Kudos
skyenter
Contributor
Contributor

I noticed the issue, too. Even though I ran esxcfg-rescan, it still does not show proper extended size. The best and dirty way to resolve the issue that I took was to reboot ESX host.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

As skyenter stated, if you add extent from the GUI, the LUN/partition will be added, but the proper size will not always get recorded correctly. This is a bug, as far as I am concerned. Unfortunately, as skyenter stated, the only way I've found to see the correct space is to reboot your cluster members. It is a pain. I've noticed that if you manually create the partition and add the extent from the command line, it works a little better, but reboot is the sure fire way to get things seen correctly. Thank goodness for DRS and maintenance mode!!!!

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
manconida
Contributor
Contributor

I've reboot one of the 7 server and the correct size was appeared but only for few minutes in all servers. Then the incorrect size appear again.

0 Kudos
skyenter
Contributor
Contributor

You need to reboot all ESX servers because other no-rebooted ESX server provides incorrect size information to VC. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

skyenter is correct. Since it is a shared disk, all servers that have mounted the datastore will need to be rebooted. Once they are all rebooted, a rescan will produce the correct size.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
manconida
Contributor
Contributor

Resolved with the rebbot of all the esx server.

Davide

0 Kudos
skyenter
Contributor
Contributor

Great. Can I get points ? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos