VMware Cloud Community
jstrauss
Contributor
Contributor

P2V of old Linux using new vCenter converter

Hi,

I have an old Linux box (debian woody).

I want to convert that box to a VM and run it under a newer Ubuntu.  The subject box is too old to run the converter client upon as I get:

/usr/bin# vmware-converter-client
/usr/lib/vmware-vcenter-converter-standalone/converter-gui: error while loading shared libraries: libXrandr.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I'm afraid to even start updating this box to try to get the proper libraries, as I might mess the system up and then I'll really be hosed.

I want to run the converter (VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client v4.3.0) upon a win7 box.  I installed both the client and the server on the win7 box.

I start the converter, go to "convert", point it at the remote box via IP, use root/password and it gathers the info.  Then the next screen is the destination.  I fill in the info about the win7 machine and I get the error: "Unable to recognize the server type or version when connecting to the host "localhost".

I'm obviously missing a step or not configuring something up front.

Would someone help me out please?

Thanks

Jay

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
kamalsharma
Contributor
Contributor

You are running standalone convertor on Win7 box to convert old Linux machine to VM on where? What is the destination here.

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

I use Platespin PowerConvert for all Linux conversions and have migrated some pretty old boxes.

Get hold os a reseller and ask for a trial license (will allow a few conversions) - it is a pretty good product and has done a decent job of converting a bunch of old Linux hosts for me.

Good Luck

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
jstrauss
Contributor
Contributor

I'm intending on running the VM on a linux host.  But could run it on a win7 host if necessary.

I'm going to run the VM within VMWare player standalone 3.1.3 build-324285.

Thanks

Jay

0 Kudos
jstrauss
Contributor
Contributor

I don't see that software anymore.  Novell has a bunch of different "platespin" products, but none called PowerConvert.

Thanks

Jay

0 Kudos