VMware Cloud Community
jpoling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Orphan Templates?

I posted on this previously:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=619645&#619645

But it happened again. For no apparent reason, we have all our templates listed as "orphaned." in VC 2.0.1 No changes were made to VC or ESX

Has anyone else seen this behavior? What causes it? Is it a bug or normal behavior under certain circumstances?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello,

I had this happen a couple of months ago. It only happened once to me. When I did some research the consensus was this was a bug but no fix yet existed.

Since this has happened to you again I would strongly encourage you to open a support request with VMware.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello,

I had this happen a couple of months ago. It only happened once to me. When I did some research the consensus was this was a bug but no fix yet existed.

Since this has happened to you again I would strongly encourage you to open a support request with VMware.

0 Kudos
cfizz34
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

To get mine back I did this:

First step is to restart the service management on the host where your templates are stored. -

\[root@hou-vm01 root]# service mgmt-vmware restart

Remove all the orphaned templates from inventory

Restart your client

Disconnect/reconnect to your VM Host if necessary

Browse the datastore where your templates are kept

Right click on the .vmtx file and click Add to Inventory

You can use the same name as it was before

You are done!

VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You do not need "service mgmt-vmware restart " or disconnect/reconnect your host.

Remove all the orphaned templates from inventory

Browse the datastore where your templates are kept

Right click on the .vmtx file and click Add to Inventory

You can use the same name as it was before

There are other posts with a little more detail then this as well if you search around. If you have a big environment you will want to note the server and/or datastore the vm is on.

0 Kudos
GVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

try restarting the virtual center server service on your virtual center server. we see this regularaly since patch 2 to virtual center.