VMware Cloud Community
cpjones441
Contributor
Contributor

One user granted multiple roles within VC is causing problems

Hi there,

I'm having difficulty with creating the right roles and assigning permissions within VC 4.0.

I am using AD groups and assigning them to roles within VC. This is all good, however if I have users who are a part of two AD groups, and two roles, VC will grant that user the lesser permission. For example:

Two AD groups: DOMAIN\vSphere-Admin and DOMAIN\vSphere-Users

Two different roles: Administrator (built-in) and VM User (very limited VM related permissions)

In my AD, user joeadmin is a member of the DOMAIN\vSphere-Admin group. He has Administrator access to VC. This is good.

In my AD, user joeuser is a member of the DOMAIN\vSphere-Users group. He has VM User access to VC. This is good.

In my AD, user joeother is a member of both DOMAIN\vSphere-Admin and DOMAIN\vSphere-Users. He has VM User access to VC. This is bad. Whilst holding multiple roles, I would have thought that he would have Administrator access to VC, not the lesser permission.

Is this expected behaviour? If so, what are your suggestions to get around this? I have many instances where one user is a part of multiple groups and I'm not too keen on restructuring my whole AD to suit the way VC does it's permissions.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Chris.

0 Kudos
0 Replies