VMware Cloud Community
kevindv10
Contributor
Contributor

Old host info causing conflict with new host?

I was struggling with getting a new ESXi 4 host into an existing cluster. The host would be added, but after a few minutes it would become unresponsive and then disconnected.

Earlier, I was using old hardware for testing. I decommissioned the old hardware and put a new server online using the same IP address and hostname, but the server would continually go offline. Eventually I changed the address and hostname on the new hardware to something that hadn't be used before and voila, the server gets added to the cluster and doesn't disconnect.

So although I now know what was causing the server to die, I don't know why. Can someone explain why the new server would conflict with information from the old server?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
geddam
Expert
Expert

Check your VC DB, if there is a host entry under VPX_HOST table, delete it....

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V), SNIA SCP.

Please award points, if helpful

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
kevindv10
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the late reply.

I've checked the table and there's no host listed with the old credentials, but I'm wondering if it has been removed as time passed. The new host is in production with a new name/address so I can't test whether or not I can use the old hostname.

Regardless, this is the first time I've poked around the vCentre db and it's been really informative. Thanks for that!

/EDIT - Under the table VPX_IP_ADDRESS the old IP address is still listed. Could that be causing the conflict?

Kevin

0 Kudos