VMware Cloud Community
SRS201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OS for vCenter. Do I need CALs for windows server?

Hi,

I just bought Essentials Plus and want to install vCenter. A guy from Microsoft told me that exept the Server license I have to buy Windows CALs for the server too. For me this sounds strange. Is this true? Is there a document stating that I need / don't need CALs?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kermic
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Long story short: you need a CAL for each device / user that will be accessing the vCenter machine (Windows server).

Quote: Every user or device that accesses or uses the Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 server software requires the purchase of a Windows Server 2008 Client Access License (Windows Server CAL)

Add reading: (assuming you are installing vCenter on W2008) http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/client-licensing.aspx

If you already have some Win servers in your environment and users / devices already have Win Server CALs, you could use the existing CALs to stay within EULAs. Talk to your MS guy if this is the case.

WBR

Imants

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kermic
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Long story short: you need a CAL for each device / user that will be accessing the vCenter machine (Windows server).

Quote: Every user or device that accesses or uses the Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 server software requires the purchase of a Windows Server 2008 Client Access License (Windows Server CAL)

Add reading: (assuming you are installing vCenter on W2008) http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/client-licensing.aspx

If you already have some Win servers in your environment and users / devices already have Win Server CALs, you could use the existing CALs to stay within EULAs. Talk to your MS guy if this is the case.

WBR

Imants

0 Kudos
SRS201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does this mean that I need CALs for vSphere client only to access the vCenter?

MS told me that I need CALs for each hosts and VMs that vCenter manages. Is this true?

0 Kudos
kermic
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

To be honest, never thought of CALs for managed hosts and VMs.

Now I'm making a wild guess here and this needs to be confirmed with MS:

1) I would not bother buying CALs for VMs as they can be treated as member servers or desktop machines.

2) ESXi hosts may be treated as vCenter Windows instance clients as they are accessing and using services on vCenter machine (using non-windows vpxuser account however...).

WBR

Imants

kermic
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

And yes, you definitely need a CAL for user / device accessing vCenter with vSphere Client.

WBR

Imants