VMware Cloud Community
Oletho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

OS customization fails with VMXNET3, works with Intel NIC

vCenter 5.5u1 appliance. When using a non-sysprepped Server 2012 R2 template with a customization specification, sysprep is never executed.

After lots of trial and error I found out that it fails with VMXNET3 but works with Intel 1000E nic.

Anyone knows why?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vNEX
Expert
Expert

Hi,

do you have VMTools properly installed and up-to-date inside W2K12 template?

Regards,

P.

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
0 Kudos
Oletho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes.

I tried a fresh install of Server 2012 R2 with just tools, no Winupdates. Then i tried all updates including update 1. Then tried updating hardware from v8 to v10.

All of the above worked with Intel 1000e and failed with vmxnet3.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert

have you already done same test with:

- hardware v9?

You can upgrade VM HW of your machine from ver8 to 9 directly from ESXi shell:

First find vmid:

# vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms | grep <your vm name>

Next upgrade:

# vim-cmd vmsvc/upgrade vmid vmx-09

- older VMtools packages... latest build for 5.5U1 is 9.4.5.1598834

Try to install build from 5.5GA release 9.4.0.1280544 you can download them here:

- Index of /45848/tools/esx/5.5/windows/x64

Have a look at customization log (guestcust.log) located in C:\Windows\TEMP\vmware-imc\ on guest machine if it contains some useful info...

Also look if you have any errors in System/Application logs ... in the past there was some issues with MSDTC service and VMTools...

Try as workaround

What happens if you disable vmxnet3 NIC in device manager before converting VM to template and VM deployment with customization specs....

Last question:

Because full C# VI client its not fully compatible with  virtual machines on HW version 10 (it cannot edit settings of those VMs) from what client are you trying to deploy your server?

Have you tried to deploy and customize the VM from both VI client and Web client ...with same results? just asking because it can be some incompatibility/bug  issue in VI client....

Regards,

P.

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
0 Kudos
Oletho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

As previously stated I tried hardware v8 and v10. I can't imagine v9 will make a big difference?

And yes, I tried both VI and web client.

Well, I got the VMs needed for this project and am not able to spend more time on this problem as for now. Hope that someone with more time to debug runs into this Smiley Happy

Sidenote: the error started with Intel nic too, had to deploy the last VM manually.

Thanks for the suggestions!

0 Kudos
atom_acres
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just curious, after the deployment finished (and the VM was waiting for the customization to start) did you notice if the NIC was connected or disconnected?

I am having an issue with my 2012R2 template where customization never runs or completes because after deployment, the NIC is off despite me having 'connect at power on' checked. I am trying to find out if others are able to reproduce my problem. Interestingly enough, if I do not use a customization, the NIC is connected after deployment....

deploy from template with custom specs not working - NIC becomes disconnected

0 Kudos
Oletho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

After deploying template the nic is disconnected. I always check hardware and connect the nic before powering on. 

0 Kudos
atom_acres
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you select "power on this virtual machine after creation" it should power on right away and within a few minutes kick off the customization. This way it is more automated and hands off.

I figured out my issue... I needed to update the vm hardware version from 8 to 9 (while also making sure to have the checkbox checked for it to 'check and upgrade vm tools on power on').

I understand this doesn't have anything to do with your original issue but I figured I would mention it in case someone else has the same issue. Also, reading the suggestions above pointed me in the right direction for solving my issue after a week of scratching my head   :]

0 Kudos