VMware Cloud Community
bhoke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Number of active user sessions

Is there a limited number of active user sessions? I identified a limit of round about 100 active sessions. If that's the default limit, is there a way to increase this number?

I'm using VC 2.0.1.

Thanks, Benjamin.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

What active sessions are you referring to?

There is a limited number of concurrent VI connections to a host which I think it 5 by default.

0 Kudos
bhoke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm referring to the number of users that can be connected to a VirtualCenter, shown in the VIClient under Admin->Sessions.

I'm using the vi perl toolkit to build a web application that allows users to connect to a VirtualCenter and interact with their Virtual Machines. They have to login at the beginning and a session is used to keep the connection to the VC. I created a script with to spawn Vim::login as many times as possible and there does seem to be a default limit of round about 100 Active Sessions per VC.

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

That's a serious amount of users accessing VC directly.

According to the docs, it's only supposed to scale to 50 concurrent connections if using high spec CPU & RAM.

Do you find the performance suffers?

Also, if each user opens a console session to their guest VM, the overhead on the ESX server is higher.

It's best to have them access a VM using RDP (Windows).

luizhbedin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here is all the numbers:

20 concurrent Sessions if your Virtual Center has 2 GB RAM

50 concurrent sessions if your Virtual Center has 3 GB RAM

:smileygrin:

bhoke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Most of the users will only retrieve some information about their VMs and start some simple operations like powering on a VM. Opening a console will also be possible, but it won't happen very often.

Our VirtualCenter has 4 GB of RAM and it seems that there are 100 concurrent sessions possible. Will there be more concurrent sessions possible if I increase the RAM?

I haven't found this information in the documentation. Can you give me a hint where to find it?

Thanks.

0 Kudos