VMware Cloud Community
CaseyCasems
Contributor
Contributor

Not optimal but......

Wanted to ask a question, is there an issues running vCenter and backup Exec 2010 on the same 64 bit system?  vCenter is running on a DL-380G5 all by itself and it seems like a waste of a good resource and we need to go 64 bit on BE because of Exchnage 2010.    Thoughts?

TIA

Casey

0 Kudos
8 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

What more can you tell us about your environment? How many hosts are you managing, where is your database, etc?

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
JohnADCO
Expert
Expert

Your Vcenter server is a pretty demanding VM.   Even with only a handfull of hosts.   We don't use Backeup Exec, but our backup is also an extremely demanding application.   I would not combine them in our environment.

0 Kudos
CaseyCasems
Contributor
Contributor

Current environment is  vCenter 4.1 with 6 ESX 4.1 hosts.  Two clusters one for servers with 30 VM's and one for desktops with 60 VM's.  The server in question is only running standard vCenter load with support for linked clones. Database is not local but s running on another Dl-380G5 running SQL 208R2.  I think it is a reasource issue, read money, we just dont have the funding to get another 64 bit system unless I can justify it and watching perfmon and other monitoring tools the server in question is just not that busy.  But would still linke you input.

TIA,

Casey

0 Kudos
JohnADCO
Expert
Expert

The VM is not hosting the DB?     That does take most all of the demand off of the Vcenter VM.

Probably OK.     What's the worst that will happen?   Poor Vcenter console response during backups and BE maint ops?

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

If it were me, I would run vCenter as a VM, and only vCenter .  Use the hardware for your Backup Exec stuff.

0 Kudos
CaseyCasems
Contributor
Contributor

No the current server does not host the database.

Jim

0 Kudos
JohnADCO
Expert
Expert

I'd probably still keep it separate if your using HA.    During HA events is not when you want your Vcenter console to be sluggish.

0 Kudos
CaseyCasems
Contributor
Contributor

I want to tkank everyone for their input and I think we will step lightly into to.  I will install BE 2010 and see what the initial impact it.  Do a few migrations accross hosts and monitor performance.  Setup a couple of backup to disk jobs get them running and then do another migration and see what performance is.  I will keep ypu all in the loop as we will being tesing this week.

Thanks again and look for the subject again with updates.

Casey

0 Kudos