VMware Cloud Community
Owenb9
Contributor
Contributor

Not able to view ESXi host through Vcenter web client

I have installed the vsphere web client and registered vcenter with it through the admin-app. When I login to the webclient I do not see my esxi server listed nor do I see a way to add one. All the instructions I have seen indicate the esxi server should already show up in the list at this point. I am running vsphere and vcenter 5 and both reside on the same virtual machine ( this is an evaluation ). Does anyone know what might be wrong?

1866141.png

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

ESXI doesnt support webclient.

If you want to manage virtuall machine with webaccess. First you need to add the ESXI host to vcenter via vsphere client.

Then connect vcenter via web client thne you will be able to see the resource there.

You cannot add esxi to vcenter via web access..I belive..

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
0 Kudos
Owenb9
Contributor
Contributor

I was under the impression that you could add the esxi host to vcenter using the web client. I thought this would of been done during the registration process. If I go to the non-web vsphere client and click the link that says "manage this host through vmware vcenter" is tries to take me to a vmware download page to download the products I already have. Here is a screenshot of the registration page:

1866141_1.png

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I was under the impression that you could add the esxi host to vcenter using the web client.

you cannot add an ESXi Host using the vSphere Web Client.  You'll first need to add the host using the vSphere Client and connect to vCenter

0 Kudos
Owenb9
Contributor
Contributor

If I click the "manage this host.." link in the non-web vsphere client it takes me to a download page to download vsphere....is there another way I should be doing this?

1866141_2.png

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

You cannot do any management of hosts (except enter/exit maintenance mode) using the vSphere Web Client.  If you want to manage the host in vCenter, use the client and point to the FQDN or IP of dssvcenter.test.com and then create your datacenter and cluster.  From there you can add host to the cluster and it will show up in the Web Client.

What is it you are trying to accomplish?

0 Kudos
Owenb9
Contributor
Contributor

My ultimate goal is an evaluation deployment of Citrix XenDesktop on a  VMware infrastructure. Unfortunately this is my first time using  esxi/vsphere/vcenter. When I get to the point in the Xen deployment of  pointing it to my hypervisor I am getting connection errors which I  believe are related to me not having vcenter configured correctly to  manage my esxi host.

Is there another way in the vsphere client ( not the web version ) for me to link it with vcenter? I assumed it was the "manage this host..." link under the Host Management section on the Summary tab but that does not appear to work.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Just point the vsphere client at your vcenter server rather than the ESXi server - you shoudl be able to login using the local admin account or if you have configured you have added Domain admin group to to the local users admin your would be able to use yur domain login - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos