VMware Cloud Community
rayan68
Contributor
Contributor

Not able to VMtion a VM

I am not the one who setup these hosts , but all host in a cluster , we have 4 hosts one of the host needs some part replacement , so we have to vmotion all the VMs from it , Vmotion went fine for all the machine except on VM I got this error :

Unable to migrate from "ESX1" to "ESX2" : virtual machine is configured to use a device that prevents migration : device "SCSI Device1" is a raw disk , which is not dupported

Same massage but SCSI Device 2

I open the VM sitting and found 1 SCSI Device 1 and 2 , and path is /vmfs/devces/genscsi/vml.000001212212110000045445450 , in front of each device under summary column.

Just to let you know , this VM used as a backup server , connected to a IBM tape library.

Any idea how to migrate this VM .

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Sanjana
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

rayan68,

Some questions for you

- Do you have the tape library mapped as a raw disk to the VM?

- If yes, then are all hosts in the cluster able to see the tape library?

- Also, are all hosts able to see the vmfs lun on which the vmdk descriptor for the raw disk resides?

- Finally, this thread might be of help.

--sanjana

0 Kudos
rayan68
Contributor
Contributor

If I go to hsot -

Storage Adapters -- highlight vmhba0 in all hosts I can see that they see everything same as it looks in the picture

0 Kudos
rayan68
Contributor
Contributor

From all hosts if I go to configuration -

Storage Network -- and click vmhba and can see the same configuration

0 Kudos
rayan68
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
rayan68
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
Sanjana
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I can see that the tape drive is connected to vmhba0 (is that correct?)

What about the vmfs volume which houses the vmdk descriptor for the raw disk?

0 Kudos
rayan68
Contributor
Contributor

What do you mean ,I checked all of them and they all look they have the same configuration, I also try to add te same SCSI Device (Tap - IBM) to one of te testing host in deferent host in the same cluster , and try to vmotion it from this host to the host 4 but got the same massage ,

0 Kudos
Sanjana
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

rayan68,

- What does your VM configuration look like? Do you two raw devices connected to the VM? (i.e. what are the SCSI1 and SCSI2 devices?).

- I'm assuming that all ESX hosts are presented the tape device with the same LUN ID (ref: Unix-Sysadmin's last comment on this thread.)

- Also, take a look at what rt7500 mentions here. Seems like you might need to remove the device from the VM, rescan all hosts and re-add the device to the VM.

--sanjana

0 Kudos