VMware Cloud Community
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No performance data (other than real time & 1 day) ?

We have upgraded the VC Server to 4.0 for more than 1 week's time. We are using SQL Server 2005 Express for the vCenter. Out of 5 ESX hosts, one of them is running vSphere 4 while the remaining ones are still running ESX 3.5 U5.

However, after the upgrade, we observe that except for "real time" and "1 day", there is no data available.

Is there any suggestion ?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

From vCenter Service Status, we find that there is warning messages:

Performance statistics rollup for Past Day to Past Week is not ocurring in the database.

We guess it is due to SQL Server Agent is not running as we are using SQL Server 2005 Express.

Will it be related to our problem ?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Is SQL browser service running?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

MSSQL Express edition does not have SQL Server Agent service and vCenter does not depend on Agent service for stats rollup.

Could you please try restarting you vCenter Server and database services once?

Hope this helps

-Sandeep

TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have checked and confirmed that SQL Server Browser is running.

Thanks

0 Kudos
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dear Sandeep,

Many thanks for your advice. I have followed your advice to restart both SQL Server & VMware VC Service but still get the same warning message. As the rollup is not related to SQL Server Agent, I guess that the SQL Server 2005 Express may be corrupted during upgrade.

In this way, I install another instance of SQL Server 2005 Express & reinstall vCenter Server. The warning message "Performance statistics rollup for Past Day to Past Week is not ocurring in the database" in vCenter Service Status is gone.

I just wonder whether it is related to "No performance data" issue.

Thanks again

Message was edited by: TonyJK

0 Kudos
mikrowiz
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar problem after upgrading to vCenter 4 where I could only see "Realtime" performance data on a few of my VM's and one of my hosts. Figuring it must be some anomoly with the database, since most of them were working fine, I shut those guests down and removed them from inventory and then added them back to inventory. A few minutes later I magically had 1 Day stats, and then later I had 1 Week Stats. I'm assuming later I'll have 1 Month and 1 Year after those get rolled up next.

Likewise, with my one host that had the same problem. I evacuated my guests, shut it down, removed it from the cluster, then added it back. It fixed my performance stats for that host as well. Good luck!

0 Kudos
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dear mikrowiz,

Which version of ESX Hosts are you running ? I find that I am able to get the performance statistics if the Host is upgraded to vSphere 4. On the other hand, for those still running ESX 3.5 U5, they are still not getting weekly / monthly statistics for Memory and Disk.

I have opened a ticket with VMWare and they have collected the logs & will investigate this issue (I guess it may be a buy of vCenter 4).

Thanks

0 Kudos
mikrowiz
Contributor
Contributor

My hosts are all version 4. Yours sure sounds like a similar problem though. Have you tried evacuating your guests, putting your host into maintenance mode, removing it from the cluster, then adding it back? That cleared it up for me with my v4 hosts. Something just wasn't happening properly in the vCenter database I guess, so re-registering the host (and a few guests that were having a similar problem) made them come to life.