VMware Cloud Community
StaticMemory201
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No more vCenter 4.1 eval?

Greetings all!

So I just completed my ICM 4.1 class and am now deploying a 4.1 sandbox in my home lab to continue my hands on practice and studying. When downloading the products from the VMWare website, I am limited to vSphere 5 in the product evaluation center. I have gone to the individual download sections that contain previous versions (4.1, 4.0, 3.5), and am able to successfully download ESXi 4.1 U1 in eval mode but cannot download its respective vCenter version without getting an error...

Sorry, at the moment you are not authorized to download VMware vCenter Server 4.1 Update 1 and modules. You have the following options:

• If you have a valid serial number of VMware vCenter Server 4.1 Update 1 and modules and you have not registered it, please register it here, so you can get download access.

• If you want to get more information about VMware vCenter Server 4.1 Update 1 and modules, please contact the VMware Sales department per email or telephone 1-877-4-VMWARE.

I'm not too comfortable deploying vCenter 5 in a 4.1 lab considering the focus of this class and exam is on 4.1. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have previously registered to download vCenter / vSphere evaluation then you will be restricted after 60 days. You may want to talk to a local VMware partner who can get you access and or a 60 day evaluation license.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have previously registered to download vCenter / vSphere evaluation then you will be restricted after 60 days. You may want to talk to a local VMware partner who can get you access and or a 60 day evaluation license.

0 Kudos
StaticMemory201
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I spoke with a VMWare rep and have verified the following...

Please be informed that, if you have registered for the evaluation for  VMware vSphere ESX or ESXi 5, then you are limited to download only ESX,  ESXi and vCenter Server version 5 and not version 4.

The evaluation for vSphere 4 is no longer available and unless you have a  valid license key for vSphere 4, you will not be able to download the  product from VMware website. Hence, you can continue to download any  files with regards to vSphere 5 and not version 4.

Tough luck for those mastering the 4.x products. Alternative looks to be to read the "Whats New in 5" materials and then continue from that.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would find a local VMware reseller or local VMware rep. Knowing your circumstances they may be able to get you access to the download. Another avenue might be attending local VMware presentations or your local VMUG and ask VMware reps there.

0 Kudos