VMware Cloud Community
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey there,

I'm very impressed of the new capabilities VC 2.0 provides. But I have a problem with logging of performance data. It seems that VC is only logging data when my client is running. All the other time the lines of the charts are going to zero. Do I have to configure this at the server?

What do I have to change?

Thanks for your help!

daniel

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mstahl75
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

When I did my first VC install I somehow managed to get it installed into the default DB on the server. I reinstalled and made sure to select the appropriate one.

You might check your other databases that get set up by default and verify that VC didn't install into one of those instead.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
170 Replies
wildcattdw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am seeing the exact same thing. I thought I was imagining it, but that's what's happening.

0 Kudos
eliot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I also appear to be having this issue.

Config is VC 1.3 upgraded to VC2.0 (lost all my historical data - had to flush the tables down in SQL) - which got data collection working again.

All ESX servers are esx 2.5.2 and 1 esx 3.0 server - Currently performing a migration upgrade.

0 Kudos
rabidpitbull
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I opened an incident with support on this issue on 7/11.

Through the advice of the support team, I have tried re-creating databases, running a SQL script, changing the VM Shares settings, and a few other things. And, actually at one point, I did a full reinstallation of Windows, SQL Server, AND Virtual Center 2.

As far as I can tell, we're still no closer to figuring out why this is happening.

The data collection only seems to start when I bring the client on-line -- and generally I get historical data for 60 minutes prior to connecting, suggesting to me that the real-time data I have is being written to the database; everything else is zeroes.

0 Kudos
eliot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can we compare setup & history:

VC 1.x upgraded to 2.0

SQL database (local to server) using windows authentication.

Mix of ESX 2 & 3

What ports used during the install?

Ive just checked another system that I manage that was an upgrade and is setup the same as above, except the database is non-local - and the history seems to be working fine.

0 Kudos
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The behavior you described more precisely than me is exactly the same I face. Chart data is available only one hour prior to the time I started my client.

My installation of VC 2.0 is done in a fresh Windows 2003 Enterprise box with a fresh SQL 2000 Server SP4. My old VC 1.4 ran on an Access DB, so I started collecting my data without an upgrade of the old db. Seems that re-installing everything new is not the solution.

Maybe this is an issue of authentication against the database? Maybe the process collecting the performance data has no permission to write data into the db? Which process will write this data and how can I check if these settings are correct?

daniel

0 Kudos
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

SQL Server is installed on the same machine as VC 2.0

the two servers I manage were upgraded from 2.5.3 to 3.0

VC was upgraded from 1.4 (using AccessDB) to 2.0 using SQL Server

Authentication is set to "Windows only" in the SQL Server.

Seems as the db is not growing because my backup dump has exactly the same size for weeks now.

0 Kudos
rabidpitbull
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SQL is installed on the same machine -- but I am using SQL authentication.

My ESX 3 servers were upgraded from 2.5.3, and I have some 2.5.3 servers as well.

VC was initially upgraded -- but has been reinstalled from scratch.

I have wondered about DB permissions as well -- except there is no data in the event logs or any other logs that give any indication that this is the problem.

pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What were the advices of the support team? Is your issue still open there and are you still in contact? Maybe I should open another SR on that?

0 Kudos
wildcattdw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here's my backstory -

I started out by installing VC 2 on a fresh install of Windows, using the MSDE option, as VC 1.3 was going to run for a short time while my licensing got straightened out (which is still not done) I noticed the 'flat spots' almost immediately. I also noticed I couldn't connect to the local MSDE database as I am accustomed to, so I thought it was an issue with the install, so I wiped the whole thing out and started over (don't forget to back up your license file!) but ended up with the exact same result. As far as ports - I stuck to the defaults.

I then reinstalled, but this time chose to use my 1.3 database (SQL, hosted on dedicated a MSSQL machine) and again, same result. I have tried running the SQL statement mentioned in several posts. Everything is set default.

0 Kudos
rabidpitbull
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have been asked to (or have on my own, based on info from the Forum):

Provide Diagnostic Logs.

Confirm ODBC Settings.

Refresh the database (esentially use a fresh database).

Run the "UPDATE VPX_SEQUENCE" script.

Increase the number of Collection Threads from 2 to 10.

Run a repair installation.

Uninstall and re-install SQL Server, and Uninstall and re-install VC 2.0.

Reload the OS, re-install SQL Server, and re-install VC 2.0.

Provide more Diagnostic Logs.

Confirm the Versions of ESX Servers I am running.

Edit the Shares for all of the VMs on the ESX 3.0 servers to recreate the .VMX files.

The next step is to have a WebEx meeting with the support team, as soon as they formulate an action plan (hopefully this week).

If you are having this issue, there may be benefit in opening a ticket. At least, there will be proof that others are having the problem, and that in itself may help lead to a solution.

0 Kudos
mstahl75
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I just realised that we are having the same issue. However, if I go to Custom[/b] it appears that it is pulling the correct data. I can change it to 12 hours, 7 days, etc and it has more data. Though, I still get some flat/zero entries.

Well, on one of my servers anyway.

0 Kudos
eliot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is this on an ESX 2.x host? - Thats the other VC2 bug where it doesn't track the "CPU Usage (average/Rate)" - it just flatlines.

0 Kudos
rabidpitbull
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

All of my hosts flatline (most of the time) - except in the cases I have outlined above. The problem affects all of my ESX 2.x hosts and ESX 3.0 hosts.

For what it's worth, all of my ESX 3.0 hosts were upgraded from ESX 2.5.3.

I'm not currently in a postition to do a clean install of ESX 3.0.

0 Kudos
mstahl75
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Actually, this is on my new ESX 3.0 hosts -- clean installs and a clean install of VC 2.0. One them has pretty decent stats for the past week and the other doesn't even seem to have that. The more that I'm digging into different intervals the more it seems to fail. Though it is failing on my newest one more than on the first one we brought up.

My 2.5.3 host also has some issues but I wasn't as concerned since we are going to be moving that one to 3.0 in the next couple of weeks hopefully.

0 Kudos
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For me these are two ESX 3.0.0 Hosts from a clean install not upgraded.

Sorry, in an earlier post I said that it was a migration from 2.5.3. The full story is that the migration failed an so we were forced to do a clean install. In the end for this issue I think we can see at as this clean install.

Message was edited by:

pfuhli

0 Kudos
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've opened a SR on that issue. Hopefully this will help us all. I think everybody who has this problem should open a SR.

0 Kudos
nwallaceml
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

For what it is worth, I am having similar issues as described in this thread. I just upgraded from VC 1.3 to VC 2.0.

\- VC 2.0 on a physical server, 2003sp1

\- SQL2000sp4 on a 2003sp1 virtual machine

\- Upgraded database

\- 3 ESX 2.5.3 hosts

The only charts that seem to show up properly are the real-time graphs. And even then, some of those performance stats show up as zero. The rest of the graphs all display 0.

After upgrading, I initially was getting the error that VC could not read the performance data. To fix that, I ran the SQL script that was suggested in VMWare Doc ID 6579181.

I did submit a SR, but from the responses in this thread, I'm guessing VMWare is still working on a fix.

0 Kudos
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just an update:

I got response from VMware support to execute a SQL script on my VC SQL server and tell them the result. The script tried to do an update to a table. But it seems that this table doesn't exist an the script failed.

Now waiting for response from VMware ...

0 Kudos
mstahl75
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I'm thinking about opening an SR on this issue too. I hadn't up to this point as I had another issue open on the same server and didn't want troubleshooting one to have issues with the other.

Thanks for the update.

0 Kudos