VMware Cloud Community
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey there,

I'm very impressed of the new capabilities VC 2.0 provides. But I have a problem with logging of performance data. It seems that VC is only logging data when my client is running. All the other time the lines of the charts are going to zero. Do I have to configure this at the server?

What do I have to change?

Thanks for your help!

daniel

0 Kudos
170 Replies
Quotient
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

How many vpx* rows do you see now...?

0 Kudos
nwallaceml
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Actually, that tripped me up on the upgrade. I had previously been using Windows Authentication, but during the upgrade, the database update failed. After doing a little searching, I realized I needed to switch over to SQL auth and had to run through the upgrade all over again.

0 Kudos
nwallaceml
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We ran into this problem in the past. I think if you didn't change the default database to your VC database when you set up the ODBC connection, VC 1.x ended up not using the database you intended.

pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, that's what I realized when I red the post from mstahl75 and came to this point while re-installing VC 2.0. Now I have the vpx_* tables in my database. Hopefully now data will be kept.

0 Kudos
arindamiitk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The problem being discussed in this thread is a known server problem in VC2.0. The "update vpx_sequence" solution addresses a part of this and applies only to the upgrade case and not the fresh install case. The problem will be completely fixed (upgrade and fresh install) in VC2.0.1.

0 Kudos
mstahl75
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

So, is there any way to manually fix the issue? Or do we just live with dropped stats until that time?

0 Kudos
arindamiitk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am afraid there is no way to manually fix this and stats will get dropped until you have the 2.0.1 binary.

0 Kudos
mstahl75
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

OK. Thanks for the information. Won't worry about it until after the upgrade comes out.

0 Kudos
eliot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Any idea why only certain people see this issue? - I have two installs, one does it, the other doesn't.

0 Kudos
arindamiitk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The issue is a bit non-deterministic - whether you see the bug or not (in fact to what extent you see it - some hosts may show stats while others drop them) depends on the number of hosts in the inventory and the number of stats collection threads configured (default is 2).

0 Kudos
mstahl75
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I tried upping that value by one but it didn't help at all. Is there a good number for that? Some kind of rule of thumb or something?

0 Kudos
nwallaceml
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I up'ed mine to 16 yesterday. Today I can see logging statistics from yesterday to today. The strange thing is, I can now do real-time and day graphs, but the weekly, monthly, etc all show nothing. For fun, I tried a custom graph and was able to do up to 2 days. If I tried to generate a 3-day graph... nothing.

0 Kudos
mstahl75
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I'll up mine some more and see what happens over the weekend.

0 Kudos
Quotient
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Can anyone post a link to an official VMware announcement or KB article about this bug...?!?!?

I'd like to know more specifics about the problem - as I imagine many of you would...

0 Kudos
eliot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I upped my threads to 16 and restarted the VC service (just for good measure) last night, this morning I have stats from overnight !! Smiley Happy

Will continue to monitor.

0 Kudos
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can you tell me where to configure the number of stats collection threads?

0 Kudos
eliot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Virtual Center| Administration | Server Settings | Statistics|

Stats collection thread limit --> 16.

Stats collection level (on mine) is 2nd one down.

Stats still arriving... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Quotient
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

eliot, are you seeing the same issues as nwallaceml posted above..?

btw: This is the same symptoms I'm getting on a fresh VC2.0 install without changing the thread limit (still @ 2)...

0 Kudos
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you, I will try this on monday. No possibility at the moment to reach my VC at work Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
eliot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I assume that the weekly/monthly stats are blank because the system hasn't been collecting the data the have anything to show.

0 Kudos