VMware Cloud Community
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey there,

I'm very impressed of the new capabilities VC 2.0 provides. But I have a problem with logging of performance data. It seems that VC is only logging data when my client is running. All the other time the lines of the charts are going to zero. Do I have to configure this at the server?

What do I have to change?

Thanks for your help!

daniel

0 Kudos
170 Replies
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just to let you know:

I talked to a guy from VMware for doing some operations on the database. After that maybe the problem is fixed.

VMware is aware of the problem an will bring out a bug fix (VC 2.0.1) next month.

I'll let you know the procedure and the results if I get the detailed instructions from the support team.

regards,

daniel

0 Kudos
hperry
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you all for this thread - I am having the same exact problem with my ESX3 farm.

I am running 4 ESX3.0 servers (clean install) and VC 2.0 - Also a clean install. SQL server is running locally to the VC2.0 machine as well.

I can get some performance data, but not very much. I have to leave the client running for it to update performance information.

Time to open up a ticket....

-Bill

0 Kudos
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here comes the instruction I got from the support team:

-

snip----

Hello Daniel,

I checked the sql statement again:

UPDATE VPX_SEQUENCE

SET ID = (SELECT MAX(id) FROM vpx_sample) WHERE NAME = 'VPX_SAMPLE_SEQ'

Even if you were to create these 3 missing tables the sql above would fail as the tables have no content. Currently a workaround involves re-installing VC 2.0 with new Database. This results in displaying the performance data correctly. As mentioned this bug is fixed in Virtual Center 2.01.

-

snip----

So I assume that only the next release will fix the bug we all see. I asked for the reason why some people get the same problems from a clean install and what workaround means.

At this time I'm not able to do anything because cerating tables manually requires knowledge about the data structure into it - which I definitely not have.

regards,

daniel

0 Kudos
mstahl75
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I'm going to take a look at my database but I don't think that is my issue since one of my 3.0 servers hasn't had many issues with the dropped stats on the other one has them every day.

Also, the definitions for those tables are in the install directory for VirtualCenter.

Message was edited by:

mstahl75

0 Kudos
nwallaceml
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That is interesting. That is the same SQL script I found in the knowledge base, Doc ID: 6579181 .

Right after I upgraded to VC 2.0, I would get an error that performance data could not be retreived. When I ran that script, Query Analyzer said 1 row was affected. I started the VC services and now the performance tabs do not give me errors, but instead I get "0" for all my performance data except the real-time graphs. After some more research on the problem, I found this thread... So, it is my guess that this SQL script does little to fix our problem.

0 Kudos
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That confirms my thoughts that either the support guys don't know where the problem comes from or they won't tell the solution because it is fixed in the next release?! Or maybe only the next release will help us all out because it is an error in the application logic.

Strange 😕

Seems that we have to wait ...

0 Kudos
rabidpitbull
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think they're probably working on something, but to date, we're not seeing the fruits of their labor.

That was the SQL script I as asked to run a couple of weeks ago. It didn't help my situation either.

I am continuing to be patient, but I'd like to be able to see some performance stats.

Does esxCharter work with VI 3? (...and will it help to fill this void in any way?)

0 Kudos
Quotient
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

For those of you that are running the UPDATE VPX_SEQUENCE fix, i.e. VMware Doc ID 6579181 , and are being told that the table doesn't exist:

Have you checked that the table is not prefixed with a username?

You can use Query Analyser to check. Just expand the database in the left pane to see all the table names.

Try running it again like this:

UPDATE username.VPX_SEQUENCE

SET ID = (SELECT MAX(id) FROM username.vpx_sample) WHERE NAME = 'VPX_SAMPLE_SEQ'

I'm concerned that some VMware supplied scripts and stored procedures may not be taking this into account...

This could be causing all manner of problems...

0 Kudos
Quotient
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Just saw this:

Windows NT authentication is not supported if the SQL Server is remote from the VC 2 Server[/i]

@ http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=51310&messageID=454687#454687

Is anyone using a Windows account, domain or local, for the VC service account and ODBC connection...?

0 Kudos
eliot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, all my installs are configured with Windows auth. Right now, because I have a VI3 working without this issue - i'm not going to change the authentication method.

From other configs on this thead, that doesn't appear to be the issue anyway.

0 Kudos
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

correct me if I'm wrong but when I expand the tables node from my database in the enterprise manager of my sql server I should see all of the tables of this database, right?

so if I do this there are no tables with the prefix "vpx_" all of the tablenames starting with "sys" except one called "dtproperties".

this led me to the assumtion that there are tables missing.

0 Kudos
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

it seems to me that there are no tables created - ever. the only existing tables - starting with "sys" are system tables from the sql server. there are no special tables from VC in my db.

does anybody know how to re-create these tables - does VMware provide any scripts on that?

0 Kudos
eliot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just another checkpoint, does anyone else who's seeing this issue have phantom virtual machines in their inventory?

After my upgrade I have:

Unknown

Unknown(1)

Unknown(2)

Unknown(3)

that it thinks are powered on, assigned to one particular host, which cant be view/altered/powered off or deleted.

0 Kudos
Quotient
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you don't have any vpx_ tables...

...then I don't know how your VC is working at all...\!!!

Are you sure this is the correct DB...?

Can you try the following in Query Analyser?

use

select name

from sysobjects

where name like 'vpx%'

go[/b]

Mine dumps 78 rows... How many do you have?

0 Kudos
mstahl75
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

When I did my first VC install I somehow managed to get it installed into the default DB on the server. I reinstalled and made sure to select the appropriate one.

You might check your other databases that get set up by default and verify that VC didn't install into one of those instead.

0 Kudos
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

zero!

strange!

0 Kudos
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This seems to be the way to the solution. I found the tables in the master db of my sql server. Don't know how it was possible to create the tables there an not in the db I provided.

I will re-install and give you feedback ...

Thnx a lot!!

0 Kudos
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't see that in my environment.

0 Kudos
mstahl75
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I'm not sure that will fix the overall problem with stats not showing up. I still have the issue with one 3.0 server and the other one has occasional drops. The 2.5.x server has issues to, but I'm not as concered with that.

0 Kudos
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Re-installation done. I see all my ESX servers again. We'll see on monday if this changed something.

...still there are some red triangles on the hosts. can't find an event which caused them...

0 Kudos