VMware Cloud Community
erx2
Contributor
Contributor

No console on ESX 3.5

Hello

after successful installation of ESX 3.5 and add the new host in my VI, i am unable to logon on the console . If i start the ESX 3.5 in troubleshooting mode it works fine.

Any ideas?

PS: i upgraded ESX 3.0.2 to ESX 3.5 and i did not have this issue.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
espi3030
Expert
Expert

erx2,

What version of ESX 3.5 did you install? ESX Server 3i Installable does not have a service console, is your screen yellow with black something similar to this?

0 Kudos
espi3030
Expert
Expert

erx2,

What version of ESX 3.5 did you install? ESX Server 3i Installable does not have a service console, does your screen look similar to this...

0 Kudos
erx2
Contributor
Contributor

I am running VMWare ESX Server version 3.5.0. I get the same logon screen as i had in the 3.0.1 or 3.0.2 ESX version (with the Alt-F1 to open ESX Server Console).

0 Kudos
espi3030
Expert
Expert

I have had difficulties logging in to my ESX servers from a KVM, I have to physically connect a mouse, keyboard and monitor at the server. If you are at the server, when you press ALT+F1 does the server respond?

0 Kudos
erx2
Contributor
Contributor

Yes server answer to Alt-F1 or Alt-F11. I can get the login prompt but unable to hit any key from keyboard Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
espi3030
Expert
Expert

Have you tried to putty/ssh from your workstation? Perhaps you can restart it from there if this server is not hosting any guest VM's yet.

0 Kudos
erx2
Contributor
Contributor

unhappily root cannot not ssh yet ....

0 Kudos
ctfoster
Expert
Expert

At the physical console try pressing Alt-F11 or Alt-F6 to get to the emergency console.

0 Kudos
erx2
Contributor
Contributor

I tried again today....and it was successfull. Probably an issue with my management workstation as it works after reboot of this workstation....

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos