I am a VMWare Newbe.
I installed VMware vCenter Server Appliance 5.5.0b released. (followed the TinkerTry instructions Deploy VMware&#39;s vCenter Server Appliance 5.5 in a home lab, without SSO errors - YouTube)
I could not configure a DataCenter over the WebClient, so I switch to vSphereClient.
Now I can't see the DataCenter (and all the inventory) in the WebClient (vSphereClient is fine).
If I try to create a DataCenter over the WebClient I get the message that "datacenter" is already there.
What could be the problem?
Log in into the Web client using username root and password vmware and to see the inventory.
If its not showing up with root the you can login into Web client using firstname.lastname@example.org and the SSO password.
Thanks for your quick answer. I locked on as email@example.com and its the exact same situation like root. No inventory.
(I can only see 2 extensions vServiceManager, vSphere Esx AgentManager)
What happend before:
- When I tried to configure my datacenter / host over the WebClient I already got stuck at the datacenter. The progress bar was tourning endlessly.
But the datacenter was then visible by the vSphereClient and I commenced configuring the host from there.
- I once renewed the SSO database to try to solve my problem and set a new password. This was now accepted with the above user.
Everything there in the vSphereClient:
I also get an alarm: Monitoring system status (DE:"Überwachen des Systemstatus")
With what user did you login into the vSphere client and add the DC and the host?
Sometimes the webclient will fail to sync the inventory from the vcenter.
Restart the Services and try once. also check this KB article
■ Log in to the vSphere Web Client as a user with permissions on the vCenter Server system. The vCenter Server system will not appear in the inventory if you do not have permissions on it. For example, if you log in as the vCenter Single Sign On administrator user, you might not have permissions on any vCenter Server system.
■ Verify that the vCenter Server system is registered with the same lookup service as the vSphere Web Client. The vSphere Web Client discovers only vCenter Server systems that are registered with the same lookup service
I would agree with UmeshAhuja this is probably a permissions issue with not seeing any items in vCenter web client. I've ran into that before.
As for the alerts seen in vCenter Service Health this is what I've come up with for a solution.
From my searches through the web I have seen that the three services, Storage Profile Service, vSphere Web Client and Orchestrator all try to start on port 31000 by default. Below this is a known issue in 5.0 U3 and we're running 5.1U1a and still are seeing this crop up. I looked through the 5.1 and 5.5 release notes and didn't find anything related to this
Alerts on these three services:
License Services -
This is a known issue with vCenter 5.0 U3
More explanation in a community forum
I had a similar behavior during my first vSphere 6 vCenter install. It turned out that the installer had some issues when I mistakenly put the DOMAIN of my site into the SSO Site: field in the installer. Going back and doing the install again i found the verbiage saying "DO NOT MAKE THIS YOUR DOMAIN", yep, that was the problem. As soon as I removed that, put a completely different phrase in there, bammm the install went without a hitch and I was able to login.
ALSO know that the URL for the inventory will be: https://<vCenter_IP_Addy>/vsphere-client there are multiple http servers running that respond to different features, but the inventory is located at THAT URL.
I've had this happen a few times where there is no inventory and each time I've had to restart the inventory service. We run VCSA so this can either be done via SSH with service-control command or you can go into Administration -> System Configuration -> Services -> Inventory Service and either Restart or Shutdown and Start.