Highlighted
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

NewVCMS as part of upgrade

Hi,

I'm planning an upgrade of a farm with 6 ESX 2.5.4 hosts and a VC 1.4 management server. I would like to build a brand new v2.5 VCMS with a new fresh database and import all of my ESX 2.5.x hosts into this as a first stage. I would then remove the original v1.4 VCMS.

Is this possible? If so, how to I import the old v2.5.x license keys?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Immortal
Immortal

If they are using host based licensing it is not a problem you can just add them to the VC 2.5 nevironement - if you are using the licensing server in VC 1.4 you will need to leave that running until you can migrate your hosts to 3.5 - check out for vmware's resommended upgrade path -[http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35/vi3_35_25_upgrade_guide.pdf]

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Surely this only applies to ESX 3.x servers that use the new type of license files? ESX 2.5.x used a license key that was entered during the ESX installation phase. VC agent and VMotion license keys were uploaded to VirtualCenter as a text file so no Flexnet license server was involved.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Immortal
Immortal

That is correct - with VI-3 the format of the license did change -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful