VMware Cloud Community
Hypnotoad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New to templates - sysprep before creating template?

I want to create a template of the freshly build VM. It's Win2003 R2 64bit if it matters. I have copied the MS sysprep files to the 1.1 directory and have extracted and copied the deply.cab files from the Windows media to the svr2003-64 directory.

Do I need to or should I run sysprep on my VM prior to creating a template? What is best practice? I've seen references to a document called "Template Usage and Best Practices". The link no longer valid. Where can I find this document?

Thanks,

Patrick

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
susan84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Patrick ,

You need not run Sysprep manually on the VM if you have copied it to the Exact path in Virtual Center.

However , One more way to do a sysprep is to run it within a VM and Reseal it . Then convert the VM to a template . Now every time you deploy from this Template , the VM will automatically be syspreped .

Hope this helps

Thanks

Sudharsan

Thanks Sudrsn

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
susan84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Patrick ,

You need not run Sysprep manually on the VM if you have copied it to the Exact path in Virtual Center.

However , One more way to do a sysprep is to run it within a VM and Reseal it . Then convert the VM to a template . Now every time you deploy from this Template , the VM will automatically be syspreped .

Hope this helps

Thanks

Sudharsan

Thanks Sudrsn
0 Kudos
Hypnotoad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. I ended up running the SysInternals SID changer and changing the IP settings to DHCP just in case.

--Patrick

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

as a note, you do not need to sysprep your gold images. Just shut them down and convert them to a template. With vCenter 2.5 you just have to have all the proper sysprep files in their directories.

here's a link to the document you are referring to, which is a little dated.

Hypnotoad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That is good to know. I have all the sysprep files in the right places for the OSes I run.

All that is missing is Windows Server 2008. Why are there no folders for 2008?

--Patrick

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are no sysprep files for W2K8, it's built into the VMware Customization process. So, create your gold image for W2k8, shut it down and convert it to a template. When you deploy off that template, "Customize using the Customization Wizard", then save it. For future deployments off template you would "Customize using an existing customization specification".

It make deploying W2K8, W7 and Vista guests a breeze!

Hypnotoad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That is good to know.

0 Kudos