VMware Cloud Community
mick_hancock
Contributor
Contributor

Need to migrate storage of two VM's between LUN's, what about the RDM's ?

Hello, hope someone can help with this...

I run a farm of 4 X Dell PE2950 Hosts running ESX3.5 Update 2, and VICentre 2.5 . We have experienced some issues with VM's "losing" their disks, the disk is still there but corrupt and cannot be mounted by Windows. Turns out we have 6 X Luns hosted on a Xiotech SAN. 5 of the LUNs are formatted with block size of 1, the other (and original) LUN is formatted with a block size of 8.Xiotech and VMware advise apply a workaround 9which I have) but I would like to retire the LUN and replace with a new LUN so everything is standard. I am in the process of doing this using cold migration, and have successfully migrated all VM storage off the LUN to be retired except two. These two are making me very nervous. They are both members of a production Microsoft-CRM Cluster running W2K3 enterprise SP2. Each node has two VMDK's, 16GB C$ and 36Gb D$. In addition the two nodes share two small mapped RDM's Q$ and S$ for the cluster shared files.

I am pretty sure that if I just shut down both the nodes and cold migrate them one at a time, it will do the job on the VMDK disks, but will convert the RDM's to VMDK's and hos the cluster in the process.

Please can someone advise me how to migrate the storage of these two VM's while preserving the integrity of the cluster ? I can shut both nodes down at same time by arrangement. On one node I could detach the RDM's , and cold migrate the VMDk's, then reattach the RDM's. Would that break the cluster though ? Before I detach the RDM's would I have to deassign the two drives as Cluster Resources ?

I need to do this in the middle of the night, and have a working cluster in the next morning.

If anyone has done anything like this or can advise, please let me know...

Thanks in advance...

0 Kudos
1 Reply
atbnet
Expert
Expert

As always backup all data and have a failure plan before you do anything like this.

The RDMs depending on what you specified will be either stored fith the VM or in a specified datastore. Do you know which? Either way the RDM can be moved at the same time, they wont be converted as they are just a pointer to the real LUN.

Do you have storage vmotion? I assume not, but thats whats storage vmotion is for exaclty this scenario so no downtime when moving LUNs and indeed SANs, good time to push the purchase of it to the manager :D.

Andy, VCP,

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.
0 Kudos