VMware Cloud Community
GFFG
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Need Space (vmfs) - New Lun/DataStore Questions

Hello!

I am running out of space on my single datastore(vmfs)Software Iscsi connection to Flexible Volume on Netapp(320g).

Q1: If I increase the LUN using Netapp tools will more free space automatically show up in VC?

Q2a: If I just create a new LUN and make say 500gb, can I migrate machines using vmtion to essentially migrate data from one store to the other?

Q2b: Is it considered normal to have 2 or more stores with virtual machines in each, any problems with having two stores?

Q3c: Can you migrate machines between the 2 stores if both esx's servers see the lun?

Q4: What about just copying all the files from one vmfs to another then decommisioning old lun?

If you guys have been down this road before let me know what choice you made.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Q1 - you are correct the answer is no - you can not dynamically add space to a vmfs datastore - you would need to add an extent -

Q2a - If you create a new LUN and VMFS Datastore - it is not vmotion you would use since vmotion does not move the virtual disks - Storage VMition is the tool you would need this will allow you to move the VM's files while the vm is running

Q2b - that is tsandard practice - I have had clients who have 20-30 VMFS datastores that are shared -

Q3 - As I answerred in Q1 VMotion does not move the files that make up the vm but as long as both ESX hosts see both datastores you will be able to VMotion between the hosts - of course assuming the othe vmotion requirements are met

Q4 - copying works as well but the VM will need to be powered off

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Q1 - you are correct the answer is no - you can not dynamically add space to a vmfs datastore - you would need to add an extent -

Q2a - If you create a new LUN and VMFS Datastore - it is not vmotion you would use since vmotion does not move the virtual disks - Storage VMition is the tool you would need this will allow you to move the VM's files while the vm is running

Q2b - that is tsandard practice - I have had clients who have 20-30 VMFS datastores that are shared -

Q3 - As I answerred in Q1 VMotion does not move the files that make up the vm but as long as both ESX hosts see both datastores you will be able to VMotion between the hosts - of course assuming the othe vmotion requirements are met

Q4 - copying works as well but the VM will need to be powered off

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
GFFG
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for quick reply!

What I will do is create another Store, add the two esx's to the Igroup and then configure VC to see the new store.

This seems the easiest way. At some point in the future I could try and storage v-motion them into one VMFS.

Thank you so much for your reply and help.

0 Kudos
ablej
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You could add an Extent to the Datastore. I would go with creating another LUN to share with your ESX host. FYI if you need to Storge VMotion your VM's you need ESX 3.5.

David Strebel www.david-strebel.com If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful"
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is no configuration you will have to do to VC to see the new datastores - as soon as the ESX hosts VC is managing see it VC will see it -

lreesey-old
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Another option for moving the files to another datastore (if you can have some dowtime) is to do a cold migration.

0 Kudos
GFFG
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks everyone. I've decided to create a new lun/store.

I was going to follow this advice below.

http://blog.scottlowe.org/2006/12/15/iscsi-from-netapp-to-esx-server/

This is the same article that was used to create the first datastore.

Once I have presented the LUN I assume I'd just "rescan disk in VC[storage adapters]"...

And under my existing SCSI Target 0:

I should see a new LUN right underneath the existing one

path/canonical path/disk/capacity/lunID

0 Kudos
DannoXYZ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What I do to move the VMs between datastores is to clone them by copying off the datastore folders themselves. Then start up the new one while shutting down the old one. I usually keep them both around for a while to make sure everything went OK. Then delete the 1st one at a later time.

0 Kudos
GFFG
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Awesome idea , thanks!!!

0 Kudos