VMware Cloud Community
tim_hin
Contributor
Contributor

NIC load balancing

Hi.

I have 4 ESX servers in an HP c-class enclosure connected to 2 Cisco 3020's. Each 3020 is trunked to our main 3750 network stack at 1GB.

I have 2 vSwitches per ESX (1 for iSCSI, 1 for VM's), 2 NIC's for each vSwitch. Right now each vSwitch has a NIC pointing to each 3020 for redundancy. The VM vSwitch is using port-based load balancing and the traffic looks like it's balancing really well. But I still want more bandwidth going to and from the switch because there are 8x GB NIC's total that are connected to a switch that only has a 1GB uplink to the stack.

ESX load-balancing is for outbound traffic only, and if I wanted inbound I would have to set IP-Hash and etherchannel to the vSwitch. I couldn't do that because each NIC of the vSwitch is going to a different physical switch. So inbound aside... I would like to bump up the bandwidth to 2GB or 4GB between the 3020's and the 3750's. Can I just PaGP etherchannel the trunk links to the 3750's and not have to change ESX's load balancing scheme?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
0 Replies