VMware Cloud Community
bncsd
Contributor
Contributor

NFS And Windows 2K3 on EXX 2.5.x

Hi all,

I need to mount /vmfs/hba0:0:012 as NFs so the Windows side and access it. I have installed Unix Service for Windows version 3.5 on Win2K3 server. And edit the exports file in /etc/exports which the following line:

/vmfs/vmhba0:0:):12 10.9.1.0/24 (ro)

From Win2K3, I can browse the NFS and see the \vmfs\vmhba0:0:0:12. But, when I click on the shared I got an error message"

"
sanesxlabn01.ecorplab.egn\vmfs\vmhba0:0:0:12 is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use this network resource.Contact the administrator of this server to finf out if you have access permissions.

No network provider accepted the given network path"

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
GBromage
Expert
Expert

What are the Linux-file system level permissions on the /vmfs/vmhba0:0:0:12 directory?

Another issue might be with Windows trying to connect to a directory name with a colon (Smiley Happy in it. Because that's a reserved character, that might be that cause of your problem.

Just out of interest, what are you trying to accomplish by doing this?

I hope this information helps you. If it does, please consider awarding points with the 'Helpful' or 'Correct' buttons. If it doesn't help you, please ask for clarification!
0 Kudos
bncsd
Contributor
Contributor

The permissions on the /vmfs/vmhba0:0:0:12 directory is drwxrwxrwt - I am not sure the "t" for the "Others" meant? So, basically everyone could "Read" and "Write" to the directory.

I also try to map the /home/vmware directory and there is no colon ":" in the path and I still got the same error message?

Anway, the reason I need to mount the NFS is we are moving the office and I just want to shutdown all the VMs and mount the partiton so the Windows side can see it. I have a LTO2 tape drive connected to the Windows box. So, if I can map the NFS mount to a share drive letter then I can use the tape drive to back up all the VMs for insurrance.

Cheers,

0 Kudos