VMware Cloud Community
WSP_Andy
Contributor
Contributor

My templates randomly get "orphaned" and I have to rebuild them - why?

Greetings all -

I'm having an issue with my ESX 3.0.2 environment that I can't seem to figure out. I have 4 VM templates for my various server and workstation configurations and every now and then, they get "orphaned" in VirtualCenter.

The only way for me to fix this it seems is to remove them from the inventory and rebuild them (using the already created .VMDK's) and simply remark them as templates. It only takes about 10 minutes to do it but it is getting annoying and shouldn't be happening.

I have a feeling this happens when my VirtualCenter loses contact with my ESX server for a few seconds (as happens sometimes on my enterprise network). Either way though, I wouldn't think that the templates and ONLY THE TEMPLATES should get orphaned upon the connection returning.

Can anyone point me in the direction of what might be wrong here!? Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

The updates for 3.02 should have taken care of this problem. We had this problem, then there was a patch, but I don't know which one specifically. Did you do ALL the patches for 3.02?

0 Kudos
WSP_Andy
Contributor
Contributor

No, sadly, I haven't applied any patches to the environment since I installed it which was a couple of months ago. I had a terrible time with the 2.5.4 to 3.0.2. upgrade and ended up having to rebuild my entire ESX environment. It was a bummer. After that happened, I decided to leave it alone and let it run before running any patches.

I suppose I should go look at the patches and see what I can find. Hopefully 3.5 has the "update manager" they've been promising for a while...

If you can recall or help me find which patch you know resolved this issue, I would certainly appreciate that. Now I'm off to find where they've stuffed the patches.

0 Kudos