VMware Cloud Community
dedricstarks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My Vcenter just died on me..

Hi Everyone,

I've run into a "teensy" problem ... while I was RDP'd into my vcenter (off site) ...I was just viewing VM information, and all of a sudden I was disconnected.. no rhyme no reason.... I tried to RDP back into it..it gave me a DNS error, when i tried to ping it, it gave me a Timeouts ... when I logged onto another server thats on the same network as the vcenter, I tried to log into it from there, and still no bueno .. the error i received however was "new" .. it basically said that there no host with that name on this network...try another network...   I tried logging into it as well via IP ... no bueno ... Does anyone have any other sugguestions that i might try, so i can recover my vcenter?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sateesh_vCloud
Jump to solution

Welcome to the community,

DNS errors - Sounds like Windows problem.

Is your vCenter is Virtual or Physical machine?

Based on the server model - you need to start troubelshoot the OS problem. If this is VM running in your ESX farm, then login with local credentials (domain won't work Smiley Happy ) and troubleshoot it.

As you mentioned it is not pingable with IP & Hostname - sounds like Network related. Narrow down the scope either to OS or Network and then fix it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me @ www.vmwareguruz.com Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful T. Sateesh VCIX-NV, VCAP 5-DCA/DCD,VCP 6-NV,VCP 5 DCV/Cloud/DT, ZCP IBM India Pvt. Ltd

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

if the vCenter Server runs on an ESXi host as a virtual machine, you may use the vSphere Client to connect to the ESXi host (on which vCenter Server is registered) to check its state.

André

PS: Discussion moved from General Issues to VMware vCenter™ Server

0 Kudos
Sateesh_vCloud
Jump to solution

Welcome to the community,

DNS errors - Sounds like Windows problem.

Is your vCenter is Virtual or Physical machine?

Based on the server model - you need to start troubelshoot the OS problem. If this is VM running in your ESX farm, then login with local credentials (domain won't work Smiley Happy ) and troubleshoot it.

As you mentioned it is not pingable with IP & Hostname - sounds like Network related. Narrow down the scope either to OS or Network and then fix it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me @ www.vmwareguruz.com Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful T. Sateesh VCIX-NV, VCAP 5-DCA/DCD,VCP 6-NV,VCP 5 DCV/Cloud/DT, ZCP IBM India Pvt. Ltd
0 Kudos
dedricstarks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks all for your input, Turned out that the Vcenter somehow removed itself off the network completely and we had found that DNS was not functioning correctly as well... so I've got the vcenter back on..(had to restore it) .

Thanks for you suggestions everyone. I will be lurking around here more often.. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos