VMware Cloud Community
Mike_Fink
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Moving virtual center to a new machine (w/diff name/IP)

I have an existing VC2 server that I want to move to a different physical machine. This machine will have a different hostname/IP address, but will talk back to the same SQL server that currently hosts the VC database. This machine also contains the license server.

My question is; how do ESX and VC communicate? When VC comes up (and the old one is down) on the new machine, what am I going to have to do to "allow" the VC to manage the ESX hosts (as I assume they are going to see it as a foreign connection from some VC they don't know about).

I have done this before, and I remember it working, but I just want to make sure that I have all the bases covered.

Thx!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
J-D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

for all I know, the ESX servers have this configuratin with IP somewhere hardcoded. You will have to remove the ESX servers from your current VC configuration.

Then install your new VC server, let it point to the database and all should be well.

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=585096&#585096

Personally, I recently removed the ESX servers from a VC on a physical server. Installed a fresh VM Windows 2003 R2 server, installed VC with license server and MSDE in it and imported the ESX'es to it.

All okay.

0 Kudos